Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
starter clutch.jpg Plastic starter gear was hanging up (so I thought) after engine turn over and I detected some slop, had an extra gear so I pulled the starter to replace it as I did back in the early 2000's. The return spring was pretty weak but all parts were still there. Popped out the roll pin, tried the new gear on the spiral gear of the clutch and determined the plastic shaft sheared off the seat. POINT IS....I was about to order spare parts and WAS NOT going to get the clutch. The bundled part number for B&S without clutch is 696539 and the bundled parts from B&S WITH clutch is 696540. Pay the extra couple bucks and get a spare clutch.
1) Has anyone else had this problem with a Vanguard starter?
2) Thanks Bob MacGregor for your pictures and write ups on Neutral Safety Switches and Starters.

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
View attachment 121782 Plastic starter gear was hanging up (so I thought) after engine turn over and I detected some slop, had an extra gear so I pulled the starter to replace it as I did back in the early 2000's. The return spring was pretty weak but all parts were still there. Popped out the roll pin, tried the new gear on the spiral gear of the clutch and determined the plastic shaft sheared off the seat. POINT IS....I was about to order spare parts and WAS NOT going to get the clutch. The bundled part number for B&S without clutch is 696539 and the bundled parts from B&S WITH clutch is 696540. Pay the extra couple bucks and get a spare clutch.
1) Has anyone else had this problem with a Vanguard starter?
2) Thanks Bob MacGregor for your pictures and write ups on Neutral Safety Switches and Starters.
I have not had this exact problem but did recently replace the starter drive on a VG powered, 1997 3016.

First a question, then a comment.

Just out of curiosity, what yr. is your engine? While there is similarity in the parts, they are not identical and use a different retaining system.

Your note on noticing the starter hanging up is a good one. Had I paid attention to that, I could have done a pre-emptive replacement and not had the parts come loose and be lost behind the blower assembly shroud, making the job a lot more involved than it would have otherwise been.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
dave1mn2, based on the production years provided on this site, my unit was assembled 1993. I have not traced the year of production of my Vanguard but likely earliest a 1992.
I think I remember seeing your thread and a picture. Your armature had a retaining clip, right?
My starter uses a roll pin.
Thanks for your thread. It made me think I may have lost my retainer and spring but fortunately for me all those parts were intact and ultimately the problem was my spiral clutch gear shearing.
I wonder though......if maybe the spring was not disengaging the black gear because of spring fatigue or slop in the gear? Gear bound up on the spiral gear when the flywheel turned and sheared off the spiral gear from the clutch assembly??
Which comes first????
Being old and retired we have time to sit and ponder these life questions over coffee (LOL)
Waiting on parts. Hope to be back up and running within the week.
I really like this site!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
3,780 Posts
"Your armature had a retaining clip, right?"

Correct. What had to have happened on mine, is the retainer (pot metal piece, shown in one of Bob's pics.) had it's center hole wear enough to pass over the washer and clip, letting it, the spring and gear, pass over and off of the drive. Getting the gear out was easy. The retainer and spring got lost out of sight and required considerable disassembly, a major upgrade to my compressor and blind luck, to retrieve them.

Your mention of sensing the starter hanging up, drove home a feeling I'd had about similar. Bottom line, if a starter hangs on me again and it isn't the spring in the ignition switch, I won't wait for it to completely fail before addressing it. Live and learn.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts