Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a piece of 8" steel pipe, 28 1/2" long with 3/8" thick walls. I am thinking of cutting it in half to make two weights. Filled with concrete they should weigh about 80# each. For the front I will keep it simple and make a bracket. For the back it gets more complex as I have a sleeve hitch and a PTO. Any harm in supporting 160# on the sleeve hitch while running a snowcaster?

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
The sleeve hitch will go up and down with the caster, and on my 224 would it would just abou drag the ground, so I removed the lift link and chained the hitch up to flat. On the back bracket ust under the back of the seat,in the corners there is a gap between it and the tank. I used these 3/16 steel hooks (see picture) to connect the chains to the corners. I ran the chains straight down against the diff housing, and loop the chains around the hitch and bolt it to the height I wanted. Any way I stacked 8 - 4"x8"x16" solid concrete blocks on it, and several small ratchet straps to hold the block in place. Google says 32 pounds for each of those blocks, 32 x 8 = 256 pounds. So 160, no problem ;)

Hand tool Gesture Tool Scaled reptile Thumb

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks @Gordy, I expect I will go that route. No need to stress the hydraulic system by lifting the extra 160# if not needed.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
One more question. How much weight do people like on the front for tilling or grading with a rear blade? I can add some weight when I pour these canister weights by adding some rebar to replace concrete. Unreinforced they should be about 80# each and I am making two. I could probably boost them up to about 100# each. I plan to make a bracket that hold them pretty close to the front end.

Anyone have an opinion on how much weight works well?

Anyone know off hand how much a 42" tiller weighs?

·
Administrator
3,486 Posts
I use four Case suitcase weights which weigh about 35-40 pounds each and that’s more than enough when using my tiller or my plug aerator which weighs appropriately 180 pounds without additional weights on it.

·
Premium Member
2,871 Posts
I have 3-40# (120 #) JD weight on the front of the 224, if I try I can still pop wheelies. But for normal use with the tiller they are enough. I seem to recall someone saying 150# for the center drive tiller, and 175# for the side drive tiller.

Wood Grass Gas Soil Font

Remember JD makes excellent dead weight ;)

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have gathered parts and started fabrication. I found a mule bracket and since I have ideas for several attachments I decided to make a quick connect of sorts to mount different things on the one mule bracket. 4 1/2 carriage bolts form the connection. I utilized the one factory hole and then drill and tapped 3 others. I put lock nuts on the back. With the tapped holes, it works like jamb nuts.

Wood Gas Bumper Metal Concrete

To hold my "can" weight I am going to use an angle with a couple arms:

Wood Bumper Red Automotive exterior Gas

Yes, pic is upside down. I considered key holes, but slots seem to give more purchase for the bolt heads. The hood hinge should keep the bar from bouncing up and off the bolts. I can add a pin if need be to hold the bar from moving up. If I find the bar wanting to bend at the slots I can add a bar welded to the front of the L to reinforce.

Wood Rectangle Road surface Asphalt Wall

Here is a mockup with the 8" steel pipe " can" that will be filled with steel bars and concrete. A 1/2" all-thread rod with coupling nuts on each end will be cast in the middle to act as connection points for the arms.

Shoe Photograph White Automotive tire Road surface

The arms will be able to pivot so I could you a spacer to push the weight about 4" further in front of the tractor if I need more weight leverage of greater ground clearance since the weight above is shown hanging below the mule bracket.

Automotive tire Tire Asphalt Road surface Rolling

Above is what it would look like extended up...and out.

I also expect I could add a second set of arms to allow a second "can" to be stacked on top of the first, although I do not think I will need that much weight. I should have the one can at 100#+

The bottom 2 carriage bolts will be used when I get around to making a parallelogram style bracket for a front sleeve hitch...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I created a bottom form with some plywood covered with wax paper. I drilled a hole in the plywood and bolted my center mounting rod (1/2" all thread with a coupling nut welded on each end and a washer double nutted in the middle to help further secure the rod once the concrete is poured.

Automotive tire Musical instrument Wood Vehicle brake Alloy wheel

I loaded as much scrap iron in once I poured about a 2" base so that no steel would be exposed. Once poured and sitting over night I put it on the scale...119.4#, so we'll call it 120. :)

I will be able to strap it to my sleeve hitch (disconnected) for snow blowing duty.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Asphalt Automotive exterior Bumper

It hangs nicely from the front bracket. Placing it on the rolling dolly makes it easy to bolt to the arms.

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire

It hangs a little low, as shown. I am making a bracket to push it forward and up so that it is no lower than the bottom of the mule.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Once that bracket is done it will be down to paint. I am going to paint the brackets Power Red and the weight black.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts