Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Newby Question

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  KBear 
#1 ·
After being a member here for several weeks and after buying a Case 222, I am almost embarrassed to ask this question, but here goes.
I know what a 3 point hitch is, but why do they call it that rather than a PTO? :headscratcher:

#5 ·
Ariena said:
After being a member here for several weeks and after buying a Case 222, I am almost embarrassed to ask this question, but here goes.
I know what a 3 point hitch is, but why do they call it that rather than a PTO? :headscratcher:
Ariena - An easy way for you to remember: PTO stands for Power Take Off. 99flhr addressed this when talking about implements that need hydraulics to make them function like the tiller or any rear mounted implement requiring hydraulics.

The 3-point remember is exactly that. Mounted to the rear of the tractor it has 3 points where implements attach to the back of the tractor i.e. two Lower Lift Arms or Links and one Top Link (the Top Link is adjustable so you can level what you are lifting if needed) and only used to lift and lower implements.

Kenneth

#6 ·
Ariena: :goodpost: :thumbsup: Just to add, the three point hitch allows for the universal attachment of many different implements by different manufacturers to tractors. All "our" garden tractors and loaders are all Category 0 three point to the best of my knowledge. The full size farm and industrial tractors may be category 1 or 2 three point, utilizing much heavier and larger implements in most cases.
Some examples of three point implements are finish mowers, back blades and plows.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.