Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a pretty well kept 4016 with rear PTO and low hours. Had 36hrs... now up to a whopping 37 lol! I got in with the intention of using it here and there around my farm. Came to realize there isn't that many left out there in that condition wich made me wonder if its a unicorn that I should keep as a garage queen and get another one or put it to work ???

I had read somewhere these tractors tend to multiply :)

·
Registered
462 Posts
Wow. That's a tough question. My most basic principle is: "It belongs to you. Do with it whatever makes you happy."

Beyond that, I recognize that there is such a thing as "good advice", especially to newbies, as to what kinds of things are likely to bring them long-term happiness, and help them avoid a mistake.

But I don't have any canned advice for this question, which is to say that I don't think there's any "mistake" to be made. Using it or preserving it, either way is legit.

If if were me, I don't have the space and resources to be a tractor "collector." Whatever I own is liable to be put to work. Hopefully not abused and driven into the ground, but fully used.

So my two cents' worth is: "If you know of a collector who'd buy it just to keep it pristine, then sell it to him, and get yourself something you can use. And if you don't find such a collector, then feel free to use it for its intended purpose."

Bob

·
Registered
169 Posts
When I see something like this weather it’s a car, tractor or anything else I can only assume the person who kept it all that time never really got to enjoy it. If I bought one still in the Crete, I’d take out and use it. But like bob said it’s really up to you.

·
Administrator
4,498 Posts
Another thought. You can use it and still keep it fairly pristine. It is a garden tractor after all, and most of it's duties involve manicured lawns and gardens. Not like you will be out plowing salt laden snow on the roads ect. Just keep it inside and out of the sun and rain when not in use and it will look good for years.

·
Registered
521 Posts
There was one recently listed in NY very cheap with 35 hours on it. The guy who had it "did not know much about it" was NOT the original owner. So often these are flags as well as very, very low price. The 4000 3000 series tractors can be over 30 years old now. So I question that someone bought this machine and only put on a few hours on when they first got it (we all know we cant not use and play with these great machines anytime we get a chance) or they average only 1 or 2 hours a year for 15 to 30 years???? Just very hard to believe most times. But nothing is impossable. Hour meters can lie both ways showing many more hours than whas on machine or showing much less as well as easy to replace so we tell everyone take them with a grain of salt and look at common wear places and items and over all condition. Truth be told how they were taken care of is far more important than hours. we have had ones come in completly trashed with 400 hours and ones 2000, 3000, 4000 hours on them still going good. Either way if you are happy do what you want with it! We have some very low hour machines in our collection and some higher. But in the end use them all, just some much more than others. Have fun with your new great find!

·
Registered
5 Posts
got 2 cents too, I bought 4016 4 years ago and converted it to a bucket loader… I too care about keeping my stuff as best as i can and for as long as I can. With that said, I worked the Bugessies out it and I’m more than impressed with these… So you can work it, it won’t complain or you can put it on a thrown, it won’t complain when you need to use it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm pretty sure the hours are accurate. Still has the ingersoll hydraulic oil filter that looks like new, has the caps on all the grease fittings. The vin is way after the ones I could find on the site ( not sure if that last sentence makes sense.... sorry I'm french lol)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I recently purchased a pretty well kept 4016 with rear PTO and low hours. Had 36hrs... now up to a whopping 37 lol! I got in with the intention of using it here and there around my farm. Came to realize there isn't that many left out there in that condition wich made me wonder if its a unicorn that I should keep as a garage queen and get another one or put it to work ???

I had read somewhere these tractors tend to multiply :)
Would you please list some photos of this beauty of your's ??
I know I'd like to see an unrestored Case that's this pristine !!
Thank You,
Rick S.

·
Registered
22 Posts
If my old memory is still working correctly, I think the 4016 model was offered from 1989 to 2004. So even if it's a 2004, that is one clean looking almost 19 year old 2004 original Ingersoll 4016, & if it's older then 2004, it even makes it more incredible. From the photos, I can see why you bought it !!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts