Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a cab this summer which came off a 4000 series tractor. I knew it would take a little modification to fit the 444 but honestly it wasn't so bad.
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive tire Asphalt Gas

The jack is under the plow so the tractor rolls around easily. I have a piece of tubing spanning the lift with a chain hooked to the eye hook that was already on the cab.

Tire Wheel Motor vehicle Automotive tire Tread

There are spacers that fill this gap but since this cab was on a 4000 series, they were missing.

Wood Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Composite material

I thought about fabing up some metal spacers but didn't have any suitable material on hand. This tractor stays indoors unless it's being used so painted lumber should last a long time. Plus it was available and easy to work with.

Hood Amber Wood Automotive lighting Tints and shades

Throw a little paint on them for protection and to make them blend in.

Reptile Sports equipment Scaled reptile Terrestrial plant Wood

Next up was the wiper handle. It was missing which I knew when I made the purchase. Now I know I could purchase one for $5 but it was a crappy, cold, rainy Sunday night. Let's make one.

Tin Aluminium Nickel Door handle Metal

A few minutes on the lathe to bore the hole, another 10 minutes to drill and tap for the set screw, hit it with the welder and I probably spent more than $5 in electricity. This guy will outlast me. Paint drying so more to come..........

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Since my wife will use this tractor occasionally, she requested that the windshield wiper handle be painted yellow so she could "see it easily in the dark". Ummmmm OK.

Wood Wheel Tire Gas Ceiling

I might have painted it orange anyway but I ran out doing the spacer blocks. If she will move snow, the handle can be any color she wants.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

I think the spacers turned out pretty good. They blend in with the cab well.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle Motor vehicle

It fits pretty well and will offer good protection from the wind.

Motor vehicle Fixture Gas Automotive exterior Auto part

This tractor runs well but the electrical system will need some love before it gets permanently installed LED pod lights. These are magnetic, battery operated, 180 lumen work lights from Harbor Freight. Ideal? No. Functional? Yes. For $6 each, if they get me through the snow season, I'll call it a win.

Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Amber Vehicle

Next up is the torn rear window. If it snows tomorrow, a piece of packing tape will be applied. I'd like to replace the "window" at some point. I just need to figure out what material to use. Any suggestions? I did find this in the laundry room cupboard. Think it will be missed? 😈

Audio equipment Gadget Font Gas Communication Device

It's not quite as thick as the original material but if you look at the top left corner, it's much clearer than the original.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Did a little research and learned something. Vinyl thickness is measured by gauge but is opposite from steel. The higher the number the thicker the material. Never too old to learn something new.

It looks like 40 gauge is what they use for boat windows at 0.040" thick propane. The shower curtain is only around 0.007". I'll measure the original thickness tonight and figure out what I'm going to do.

Last night I had a plugged mixing valve on my radiant floor heat. Took up all my time figuring that out.

·
Administrator
2,841 Posts
Make sure you are familiar with this issue...

Reactions: CobyDog$10

·
Premium Member
3,034 Posts
Should be OK co2 wise with that stack on there. Would not hurt to have a co detector in the cab.

Although this stack on my 224-78 was intended to direct heat away from the caster, it also got rid of the exhaust fumes from the cab (y) You can see part of the tarp that I wrapped over the hood and sides down to the bottom of the frame. The back of the tarp and front of the cab over lapped and were propped open to heat the cab. The doors did not seal tight and I did not take time to seal the large holes around the foot rests. Still it did not take long and the hat, gloves, and jacket came off. -10f and blowing snow dressed in sneakers, jeans, and tee shirt (y)😁

Motor vehicle Hood Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Wood

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the heads up on Co2 concerns. I am familiar with this potential problem. I think the Co2 detector is cheap insurance and there is a brand new one in the house left over from replacing all the originals. It can be put to good use in the cab.

The shower curtain is 0.007" thick and the original material is 0.016" thick. A piece of 16 gauge has been ordered and I'll put the shower curtain back where I found it. The wife will never know!

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,449 Posts
Regarding the rear window, the later production K2 cabs used a piece of plexiglass rather than vinyl. It sat in a channel on the bottom and had a couple of quick fasteners on the top for summer removal.

Bob

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Liquid Tire Font Gas Automotive tire

Sorry it's been a bit. Life gets hectic.

Here is the vinyl. I tested several products I had lying around to bond this material to itself. The Loctite performed the best.

Hand tool Wood Table Gas Metalworking hand tool

The bare frame, a trimmed down piece of vinyl, clamps and square tubing to help distribute the clamping force.
Hood Table Wood Road surface Gas

Glue it and clamp it. After 2 hours you can remove the clamps and glue the next side. Stretch the vinyl a little while clamping kid of like re-screening a window screen.
Wood Flooring Wood stain Wall Hardwood

8 hours later in theory. It took several days before I actually got it done. The material is bonded quite well.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Automotive lighting Auto part

Installed! Not perfect but way better than it was. Far from good but good from afar.

On a side note: If anyone else wants to repair this style window, I have enough vinyl and adhesive to do one more. I would be willing to donate it to a fellow member.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have moved snow a couple of times and noticed the blade had quite a bit of side to side movement in it. Upon investigation I found the biggest culprit. I have had this blade for years but never used it on the 446. I have always used the caster.
Household hardware Cylinder Gas Nut Nickel

A 1/2" bolt as an angle adjustment lock pin, (left). The holes are 5/8" so find something this size, (right).

Cylinder Gas Tin Metal Auto part

Cut it to length.

Composite material Gas Concrete Metal Auto part

Bend up a handle since grabbing a bolt head with gloves on is tough.

Font Gas Composite material Bumper Auto part

Give the pin a little taper. The vise, pipe, and hammer bend job isn't perfect but it will work.

Tire Motor vehicle Wheel Bumper Wood

A quick weld job and a squirt of paint.

Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Wood Gas Bumper

Much better. The handle is large enough that a thick glove doesn't cause any interference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts