Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
RESTORED J.I CASE 155 GARDEN TRACTOR - $1000 (STEUBENVILLE, OH)

Date: 2011-05-14, 11:05AM EDT
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

This is a restored 1968 case 155 Garden Tractor. Hydrostatic drive. 10HP Kohler Engine that has been rebuilt by a mechanic with 40 years of experience. Tractor has been been tore down and painted back to its original color. Hi and Lo gears. Runs and looks great! Original mower deck that has also been painted. Use it for show or cut your yard. call 724-600-9503

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Yes, Maynard.... it is a nice looking 155.................BUT......................................................

unfortunately the word "restored" should not be used to describe it.

The seat is wrong, the muffler is wrong, the start/gen is wrong, the 155 decals are wrong and you either put four chrome hubcaps on this model or you put nothing at all.

The caps were an option and came as a set.

When you see these blatantly obvious mistakes, a shadow is cast over the entire restoration work. IF..... everything was correct, then $1000.00 is not an unreasonable price to demand.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The muffler is correct, it is the only muffler that Case had available as a replacement for the 155,195, 120, 150, 190, and T-90. You could NOT get an exact replacement from the Case dealer.
How can you tell that the starter generator is not original?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The muffler is NOT correct.

The muffler that is on that tractor wasn't what was on the tractor when it left Winneconne. In fact, that muffler wasn't even available when the old 100 Series were being manufactured. Just because CASE found it expedient to discontinue the correct muffler and replace it with the style they were using on the early 200 and 400 models does not make it period correct.

If that was true, then I guess there was no point in Steve going to the trouble to have reproduction exhaust systems made that duplicate the correct muffler. And I guess all the people that have been buying those period correct mufflers from Jim Daenzer are also badly informed.

As for the start/gen, it is painted black when it should be painted Flambeau Red to match the rest of the engine.

It's clues like the ones I pointed out that tell me the person who worked on this tractor did not do their homework in advance. When you see blatant errors like those, it is an indicator that there may be many other questionable decisions made by this person when he conducted his version of a restoration. The 155 model is still in abundance at the moment and can often be found for a cost ranging from FREE to a few hundred dollars. This person expects to be rewarded in the amount of $1000.00 for what he has labelled a "restoration". If he did conduct a proper restoration then I have no quarrel with his asking price. A perfectly restored example should command that kind of money.

But if you have to take what he did all apart to correct poor workmanship, incorrect parts or some other issue, then you might as well go buy an unrestored 155 for $200.00 and do it up right.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Hydriv, I agree with all your points about a correct restoration. Even though I chose to do some mods to my 155, my other 100 series will be true restorations.
However, I have to disagree on the starter/generator. I own two 155's, and both were untouched originals when I purchased them. They have unpainted starter/generators. Now, the promotional materials I have show the painted starter/generator. I believe that sometime shortly after the 155/195's were introduced, they stopped painting it, for reasons unknown. I grew up in southern WI, and have seen dozens of workhorse 155/195's, and all had an unpainted starter/generator.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I suppose that you have to make a decision when restoring any tractor as to how you are going to go about it. I am not going to argue with over what your observations are concerning the start/gen. What you saw is what you saw. However, I find it hard to believe that Case would allow any part of a tractor to leave their plant in an "unpainted" state because it would rust pretty quickly.

Every auto/electric shop that I have dealt with, painted the starters and generators they rebuilt.

The promotional materials for the 130/180 show a black start/gen but the 120/150/190 and 155/195 brochures show Flambeau Red start/generators. To me, that's how Case intended them to be and therefore, I would follow that paint scheme for a restoration. Now with saying that, I know that the same regimen cannot be applied to the Colt models of 1965 because there were some factory differences in how some tractors left the plant.

One of the problems here is that the further we get time-wise from the date of manufacture, the more problematic it becomes to pin down the truth to an absolute. I suppose that this could become one of those things that collectors/historians will argue about in the future. :sidelaugh:

Thanks for bringing your point of view to the topic.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ah, I see what you're saying. I should have been more clear. The starter/generator on both of my 155's was painted, just painted the original manufacturer black, apparently with no additional coat from Case during assembly.

Which brings up an interesting point with any restoration. If you have access to what your individual tractor looked like, is a correct restoration to the promotional materials, or what your individual one looked like new?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Phaon said:
Ah, I see what you're saying. I should have been more clear. The starter/generator on both of my 155's was painted, just painted the original manufacturer black, apparently with no additional coat from Case during assembly.

Which brings up an interesting point with any restoration. If you have access to what your individual tractor looked like, is a correct restoration to the promotional materials, or what your individual one looked like new?
When it comes to a Colt, you have to carefully investigate. I have the early brochures but Colt did not always adhere to what is shown in the them. I don't believe that there is a brochure that depicts a Colt being painted black and white and yet several of those exist. In 65, the brochure indicates that the grille side panels should be black but I understand that some tractors left the plant with them painted Burgundy.

So, if you are asking me what I would, then my answer would be this. I'd do my best to verify whether the tractor I owned left the plant painted exactly the way I see it today or that some previous owner took liberties with it. If people I trust tell me that my tractor is original, then I would duplicate the paint scheme or the build. Other than that, I'd rely on the printed literature. This is where Daenzer's Registry shows it's value because the serial numbers of the known black/white Colts are posted and that may help someone decide which colors are correct for his tractor.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.