Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting 448 ready, all parts came in this week. Today....popped heads, cleaned carbon, ground valves, DROPPED ex valve keeper(RH) through drain hole in tappet housing!!!! Checked partially dissembled eng from parts 446, hole leads to timing gears soooo, guess cover needs to come off unless someone has a "trick" to retrieve keeper?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
boomers_influence said:
dwag
you could try some kind of small flexible magnet.
i tell my customers to place a small cotton rag in the hole,
until they are done with the valve installation
good luck. boomer (the used onan parts guy)
Thank for reply, blocking hole was my "note to self" after the fact. Will try magnet thing, but have since turned eng over to install all valve springs(robbed keeper from 446) to ensure doesn't happen again after reassembly. Might even turn eng upside down before removing cover. Such a stupid thing to do! After 5 min of venting (rabid swearing unbefitting a UP Elder), 2 quart of
Bud Lite, and 24 hours later, all is well. Carbon wasn't that bad but cooling fins on RH side were really plugged, which would have cooked eng when put to test.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.