Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Used my rebuilt case 444 14hp Kohler yesterday. Last night it wouldn't start. Sounded like a weak batterie so I triccle charged it overnight. Today still won't start. I bought a new batterie and got the same thing. Engine turns over about half way then stops. I pulled the plug out to see if that would reduce the compression allowing it to turn over easier. Didn't help any. So what do you think. Is it my starter? Too much compression? Help!!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Do you have a Kohler that uses a true starter motor plus an alternator coil under the flywheel to recharge the battery or do you have a start/gen unit on the side of the engine?

According to what you wrote, you removed the spark plug and still the starter would not turn the engine over. That means the starter is not working against compression.

Do you have a rear PTO? If so, is the lever in the center position or is it at one side or the other from center and you do not have a looped hose on the valve? If the hydraulic PTO is engaged with no looped hose, then the pump is dead heading and preventing the starter from spinning the engine.

Let's start there.

And why is this inquiry in the Onan section? Once you respond, I will move the thread to the Kohler section.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.