Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After I reassembled my engine (14hp Kohler). It started up but ran ruff. I tried engaging the clutch for the deck and the nut and washer came off. I had it as tight as would allow and stil let me move the engagement lever. If I over tighten the nut I cannot move the lever at all. I look at the assembly diagram and I have all the parts in the right place. Is there a torque spec for this nut?

·
Administrator
3,285 Posts
Get the Kohler running correctly with the deck drive belt removed. :facepalm:
Click on page header, scroll to Tech Library, click on service manuals, scroll to PTO Clutch Section, click on it, click on EZAdjust Clutch service manual and read!!!!
Mad Mackie in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
There is a torque spec for the nut but you must make sure that the engine does not turn while tightening the nut or you will throw your adjustment out of whack. Clutch adjustment is a "learned experience". Yes, you can read the manual many times but it's the process of doing this adjustment again and again that teaches you the fine points of clutch adjustment.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out yesterday and tightened the nut and tried to get to. 007 and could not get it. The lever to engage the clutch no longer moves and stranger yet my tractor will no longer start. Is there some kind of safety switch associated with this? Yes my engine did turn while tightening the nut. Guess I'll have to figure out some kind of strap system to hold it still.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The reason your tractor will not start is because the PTO lever is pushed too far forward and the safety switch is doing exactly what it was designed to do.

One way to get the crankshaft to stop rotating is to remove the spark plug and stuff ONE HALF of a 2 foot length of rope inside the combustion chamber and allow the piston to come up to top dead center where it will compress the rope against the head.

Are you sure that you assembled the clutch correctly by making sure the two cams that the clutch fork hooks into are opposite to one another?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yes. I went over the diagram 100%. I'll loosen the nut and see if the arn drops back. Then I'll pull it all apart again and re assemble it. I am getting good at this process. I also shut it off with the mule in the down position. Will this cause an issue?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you are speaking about the position of the mid-mount lift when you turned the engine off.

If that's true, then the answer is NO...the position of the mid-mount lift has no affect on the clutch setting. A properly adjusted clutch will function correctly whether an implement is fully raised, full lowered or anywhere in between.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all your help HD. I think I have he clutch adjusted now. I have the mower deck rebuld also. One I get the push rod for the points I'll be able to get them adjusted and I should be in business. Right now the tractor runs but if I advance the throttle it wants to bogg down. I assume it is due to the points not being adjusted.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.