Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 79 kohler 14 hp is burning oil at what I think is an alarming rate. Dipstick showed full and I mowed, about an hour of run time. Checked after and it was just under 3/4. After next mow, it was 1/4. I just filled and am ready to mow. I think this warrants some attention and likely rebuild or rings???. Fairly certain this is a standard and never been bored.

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
Dan
Have you ever changed the breather ? - filter 235117:mechanic:
What weight oil are you using ? :mechanic:
How bad does it smoke on start up ?:mechanic:
Is it leaking any were ?
I'm thinking a rebuild might be in your future :222:

bigman :usa2:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just got back in from mowing and spraying! On startup, a large cloud of white smoke for quite some time. That kind of goes away, though I see white smoke often while mowing. Using 30 weight, last breather change... hmmmm. I’m going to guess 1985? If then. Could be orig. No visible oil leaks, though I haven’t gone over with a fine tooth comb yet. I’m going to pull the head at some point and see what I can see.

in the overall scheme of things, how bad is 1/4 of the oil being burned with an hour and change of run time?

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
"in the overall scheme of things, how bad is 1/4 of the oil being burned with an hour and change of run time?"

That more then I'd like to see. :facepalm:
I'll bet others will be by and have other ideas.:thumbup:
I f you rebuild your motor you will be surprised how much more power you'll have :mowlawn:
Maybe a decarb will help or try some gas additive.:mechanic:

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Let’s see... 2020-1979 = 41 years of an engine running virtually untouched. I do not recall this engine being rebuilt ever. I guess I’ll find out when I pull the head. Seems my father got his money’s worth on this engine. It does seem to lack the power I think it should have. Mowing semi tall grass bogs it down. I guess it’s time...

·
Administrator
8,253 Posts
Dan :wave:
Let us know what you find under the head. :facepalm:
You might find a leaking head gasket :crazy:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Doing a rebuild would surprise you with power, I rebuilt a kohler 14 hp and here is a list I had done if it helps: had it bored out .020 of an inch, the crank shaved down .020 of an inch, and the head shaved. I think I might have got another horse out of it and I have a 46inch mower deck on it and it will burn the belt before it pulls down. I get my kohler parts from www.Isavetractors.com it's the best place I found for reliable parts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts