Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Sly, I just rebuilt my K321 and just did the 5 hr first change. With winter coming up, I was unsure what to run also. I talked to Joe Nowak at Kohler explaining that here in lower Delaware the temps can go from 10 deg. to 50 deg. in a weeks time and was unsure what to run as the manual just cuts the grade at 32 deg. I also asked if 15w-40 was ok to run. His reply was that 10w-30 would be fine in that temperature range. If oil consumption was excessive with 10w-30, then running 10w-40 or 15w-40 would be just fine. I am planning on getting back in contact with him to see if 15w-40 would be suitable all year around. It seems the multi-grade oils offer the protection needed, but the engine will use more in warmer temperatures. Hope this is a help.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I doubt that the Kohler rep will endorse a multi-grade of any type or brand for use in the summertime. Straight grade 30W detergent oil that is changed every 25 hours MAX is the preferred oil choice for these engines and has been so since they were first introduced some 40 plus years ago.

For winter use, you can choose 10W30, 5W30 or 0W30 in either a dino oil or a synthetic. The synthetic will make life easier for the starter motor in really cold temps that are below 0 F. There is no lack of protection in straight grade oils. In the overall scheme of things, oil is the cheapest component in an engine and it is certainly one of the most important. I would not run any multi-grade oil that has a last number less than 30.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
okay I think I will give the synthetic 5w40 t6 a shot in the kohler.
the 30 to 40 is minimal so I am assuming it should be fine, synthetic would maybe dislodge deposits in the engine?
that was another concern, but the oil change intervals are more frequent on the kohler anyhow.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The synthetic oil won't dislodge anything more than a dino oil with detergent will. The oil will behave like a straight 40 weight when it is hot thanks to viscosity modifiers that are part of the additive package. When cold, the oil behaves like a 5 weight.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I use 5-W30 castrol Syntec in my BMW, 1964 Volkswagen, Pressure Washer, NG Generator, push Lawn Mower, Snowblower, ZTR and my (new to me) Case 222.
I live in Southern Ontario where temperatures fluctuate and have had no problems since 2002 in any of them.
Just my humble opinion.

:canada:

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Tom, my thoughts exactly
but I was actually wondering about the 40, since in the summer we run 30wt not 40.
I am guessing this just gives me a wider range of outside temperatures.

I to also think their wont be any ill effects.
:winterrules:

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The issue here is two-fold.

1. How easy is it for the starter to crank the engine in really cold weather?

2. How quickly will the oil in the crankcase find its way to all of the engine parts in really cold weather?

The multi-grade solves those two problems and the synthetic does it better than dino oil does.

Straight 30 is used for the summer but in the winter, once the engine is hot and the multi-grade oil is acting like a 40 weight, there are no negative effects. Oil is already coating all of the rotating and sliding parts and the engine is already running. Both of the cold-weather problems no longer exist and the slightly heavier oil will have no adverse issues with engine performance.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
works for me!

I believe I have enough of my T6, if I do I will give it a shot and monitor the dip stick.
tho I might not have enough for 2 oil changes :headscratcher: wonder if I will tach that many hours on between 3 working tractors.

which reminds me I need to install that hour meter !!!!!!!!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.