Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I cant seem to stop oil from coming out from around cap of hyd tank (old 444 with tank up front). Cap and tank in good shape and oil level verified to be per manual (lower side). I mowed a few times without checking and had a huge mess. Now I've tried a few times with no hood and after paying close attention to my 'shift' quality it still lets some out if I accidentally jerk it (linkage seems good with no slop felt by 'hand') or go through pretty rough spots.

Not too fond of the idea of trying a gasket/seal between top of tank spout and cap cause with my luck it will end up in the control valve. Fluid comes out around threads rather than vent hole.

Was wondering if switching this thing over to the metal tank-under-battery-variety is a possibility? This is a workhorse not a show tractor BTW.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cap has vent and I removed both pieces to clean out and make sure they were clear. There is no rubber gasket under the plastic vent parts though - is there supposed to be?

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If I were you, I would be checking for oil foam.

There can be several problems that cause foaming of the oil. If the you have one long rubber hose that goes from the tank to the pump, is that hose old and hard? If so, go to a hydraulic supply house and buy a length of suction line. Loose clamps or wrong clamps can allow air to get sucked in at connections. Worm or gear type hose clamps are the wrong choice. Use the clamps with a flat band and a machine screw and nut to tighten them. If the pump inlet fitting/s are loose or not sealed with pipe dope, then that's another spot to check.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tom - based on previous posts I've checked all of the stuff you mentioned. Mine has the hard tubes with very short hose sections at all three points (half inch gaps max for hose pieces to bridge). New hose. Not suction hose but the lengths of unsupported hose is so short at the outlet of tank that the suction tube and tank fitting almost touch. Hose does not breath at all. Original clamps, etc. I did stop and remove cap on tank and oil didnt appear unusual or have air bubbles. No drips at valves, tubes, hoses, or anywhere else.

What I did do was jerk the travel handle on purpose to verify that was a cause. Same goes for bumpy areas in lawn. After realizing this I started paying close attention while driving and went from have a front end completely covered in oily wet dirt and grass to having to wipe tank off three times or so within an hours time mowing (so it wouldnt drip down all over the front end). I'm pretty much convinced on what causes it to happen and can recreate at will.

I have a couple of other minor things to get to but this is one of two last 'medium' issues to resolve to feel confident that this rig is good to go for the long haul without having to worry about something with using it.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Have been running without a hood til I get this resolved - its the only way I can see to wipe the tank dry.

Gas cap...doesnt have original gas cap...has oddball plastic one which doesnt actually fit. Threads are incorrect and are basically just snug enough to keep it from falling off when moving.

Not really sure what else to do as far as checking for foamy oil. the tubes are all in good condition - nice and round. I loosened the clamps and couldnt rotate the hose pieces so I'm pretty sure they've set up nice and tight.

Wondering about putting a heavy balloon over the filler neck are rather than a cap and trying it out. You know the heavy balloons that have the heavy rubber band attaced to the end for 'punching'? that ought seal good and I could put a small vent hole in it and see if it is getting pressurized at well?????????

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The correct caps for the fuel tank and reservoir are made from metal and they are identical. Is the problem cap metal or plastic? The oil level in the front mounted tanks can be 3 inches lower than the top of the filler neck. Is that where you are running it. If you have an air leak that is causing the oil to foam, then put the trans-axle in neutral, push the travel lever fully forward and run the engine at WOT. Take the cap off the tank and look inside. If this is a foaming issue, then you will see foam.

If you don't see any foaming, then I'm thinking that you might want to obtain another cap.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.