Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that the 226 has been running well the 448 is acting up.

I took it out for the first mow of the season. It ran great for 5-10 minutes and then started idling terribly. Eventually, it died and wouldn't restart.

I installed a new condenser and points. Now it starts but will only run on full choke. That was not the case right before it died. No amount of fiddling with carb adjustments changes that.

I took the top off the DD13 carburetor. The float was full, the brass floats were not stuck. I shot some carb cleaner through the main jet just to rule that out. I did observe there's now a small amount of fuel weeping from the main jet.

It fires right up but the moment you turn the choke off it dies.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Now that the 226 has been running well the 448 is acting up.

I took it out for the first mow of the season. It ran great for 5-10 minutes and then started idling terribly. Eventually, it died and wouldn't restart.

I installed a new condenser and points. Now it starts but will only run on full choke. That was not the case right before it died. No amount of fiddling with carb adjustments changes that.

I took the top off the DD13 carburetor. The float was full, the brass floats were not stuck. I shot some carb cleaner through the main jet just to rule that out. I did observe there's now a small amount of fuel weeping from the main jet.

It fires right up but the moment you turn the choke off it dies.
In case it helps anyone else, I think I was dealing with multiple issues at once.

I'm assuming my condenser was okay. The points were junk though. I could see a giant pit in them.

After replacing both, I still had some kinda random fuel starvation issue, which made adjusting the carburetor impossible.

Somehow I missed that I was supposed to be using a timing light to set the points gap. The .021 gap is just a starting place. While I own a timing light, I haven't used it in more than a decade and have no idea where it is, so I ended up buying a new one. I cleaned things up enough to chalk off the proper timing marks and got it set properly this time with the timing light. That appears to have resolved the issue completely. I was able to mow without it dying or needing to fiddle with the carb.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts