Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if a LX990 / P224 Onan would hookup to the pump on my 226? or would a love-joy coupler need to be altered? I guess I'm wondering if the crank is the same size? I don't care about the front pto, I just use this for pulling stuff around. wagon roller sprayer ect...
Thanks for any help.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You have to understand that the engine SPEC number is what tells the story. Every engine manufacturer made basic engines and then worked with the end-user companies to give them what they wanted. That means things such as

- starter or no starter

- starter position

- fuel pump or no fuel pump

- exhaust or no exhaust

- deep, shallow or standard oil pans

- crankshaft stub length

- crankshaft stub diameter

- crankshaft stub style - tapered, straight, keyed, splined ????

- alternator output

- regulator included or not

There's probably more variable than that but.......you get the idea. Get the spec of the 990 and give it to Boomer. He will tell you how that engine was originally built and why you have to do to make it work.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,514 Posts
mike
the p 224 was ava.with 1 7/16 or 1 1/8 straight crank,
plus internal spline and taper cranks.
if you do it, you will want to use a P series 2 qt. oil pan.
there will also be sheet metal work on the front cover.
also the P series starter that is for case. ( no solenoid on the starter)
the MAIN problem will be the exhaust system. ( because this engine is almost three inches wider )
it will be hard to make it look good on our case tractors.
as always you can call for more help 651 437 2826
thank you. boomer

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hmmm... :headscratcher: maybe a 20 hp is the better route or just build up the b48m like I was planning.
On that LX990 I would guess the exhaust would come out right to the edge of the hood and cause problems routing it. That's why they call it a big block. right? :rockon: :thumbsup:
:headscratcher: Hmmm what to do? :headscratcher:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
boomers_influence said:
mike
i think the exhaust could be done with the side bulge hood??
BUT i HATE them.
i have wanted to put a Big block in my 448 for years.
thank you. boomer
I do have the side bulge hood on my 1984 226. Now you got me think'n Boomer! :headscratcher:
Now to come up with more moolaa $. :headscratcher: :thumbup:
I need a side job. :smile:

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Mike I hope you arent thinking of bidding against me. I do need an larger engine, put too big of a pump on this tractor.

My opinion is if you are going to put all the money into having someone build a engine for you, you may as well spend more and make it interesting

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
mikebramel said:
Mike I hope you arent thinking of bidding against me. I do need an larger engine, put too big of a pump on this tractor.

My opinion is if you are going to put all the money into having someone build a engine for you, you may as well spend more and make it interesting
That was my thinking. I need a project to keep me busy. I just wish it were'nt going to cost north of $1K to have fun.
I did bid on that engine, but the reserve is $700.00. Not sure I'd want to go any higher. especially if I have to turn the crank down and get a smaller oil pan.
I do have some things I could sell to make up some of the cost.

·
Banned
189 Posts
gator_rider2 said:
The 990 has turn out to be a disappointing engine to many on web because 24 hp is not there true horsepower 20 hp. The best advantage P224 is that Heavy.
Thats Interesting Gator, Why do you think the big block is a slacker? I have one on the shelf waiting to go in my cub 482. I hope Iam not dssapointed in the big block.

kubotakid :usa2:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
gator_rider2 said:
The 990 has turn out to be a disappointing engine to many on web because 24 hp is not there true horsepower 20 hp. The best advantage P224 is that Heavy.
Even if that's true, it probably puts out way more torque due to the bigger displacement and that's what you want in a tractor.
I think a proper rebuild would cure that anyway. Most people online are using old worn out engines and then saying they are junk or not what they claim for power. Well of course not it's 20 years old and has been abused it's whole life what do you expect? That's my take on it.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
mikebramel said:
He is right. The continuous out put on a 24HP is about 17HP and the 20HP is 14HP. The 24HP does have 40 ft Lb compared to 30 ft lb
When you think about it 10 ft.lbs is a huge number when your talking this size of engine. :smile:

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm scratching the idea of the big block P224 and I'm going with a B43M making it into a B48M and doing some other tricks Boomer suggested to me. I should be good for over 24hp after it's done anyway. Without the hassle of making things fit.
It's slightly cheaper too. I started getting parts already so here I go!!!! :thumbup: :thumbsup: :fingerscrossed:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.