Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
O.k what do i have to do to get the starter bolts you can not see them there is a big sheild in the way there is alot of crap to take off it seems the reason i quoted on this maybe someone can tell me

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,689 Posts
O.k what do i have to do to get the starter bolts you can not see them there is a big sheild in the way there is alot of crap to take off it seems the reason i quoted on this maybe someone can tell me
The flywheel blower housing has to be taken off to have access to the starter bolts.
Keep the ✌
Harry

·
Administrator
4,498 Posts
You can cut a piece of angle iron the length of the lift cylinder rod to use as a strut to hold the arms up once you have raised them. That way you have nothing to work around or knock over when you commence work on the engine.

·
Administrator
2,689 Posts
On one of my Onan machines I cut the blower housing around the starter area and welded tabs on it to bolt it on. It makes it easy to remove the housing around the starter to get to the starter bolts.

Keep the Peace ✌
Harry

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,060 Posts
if you had the front shroud off, this is what you would see:

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Gas Engineering Screw

Those 2 bolts that come in from the rear hold the starter to the mounting plate. The mounting plate has 3 bolts going from the plate into the oil pan casting. With a really thin socket and extension you MIGHT be able to get in behind the starter and remove it. Otherwise its pull or cut up the front shroud.

·
Administrator
2,689 Posts
Here are a few pics of the blower housing that I cut to make a access cover. It's tabbed to screw on the blower housing. I had to remove the starter last night so I thought I would take some pics. Even with the access cover off it's still a PITA to remove the bolts. The bottom bolt was the easiest which I could remove by turning slightly then flip the open end wrench and slight turn again. Very time consuming to remove. The top bolt is similar with flipping the wrench, but I also had to engage the starter drive into the flywheel and hold it with my left hand while turning the wrench with my right. Not the best situation but better than taking everything off the front of the engine to remove the starter.
Keep the ✌
Harry

Attachments

·
'68 - Case 155, '73 - 646a
2,060 Posts
Umm Harry, the 646's have an onan CCK engine in them which is quite different from a B series, it uses a different starter, flywheel, etc. Access to the engine is different due to the different oil tank supports, etc.

Here is an example of a CCK out of a 646 on the bench so you can see how close the muffler is to the shroud. Also when this is installed, the oil tank supports fit in between the muffler and the shroud to make it even tighter.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Gas Electric motor

Here are a few pics of the blower housing that I cut to make a access cover. It's tabbed to screw on the blower housing......................
Harry

1 - 9 of 9 Posts