Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Ok update on the fuel situation I've replaced the fuel lines from the tank to filter as old one was collapsed apparently new filter new pump the fuel filter filled up fairly quickly after a few cranks however the fuel coming out of the pump barely flows I am definitely getting vacuum pressure from the engine the new line is a bit longer than the old one is that my issue or am I looking at a bigger issue

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
Ok update on the fuel situation I've replaced the fuel lines from the tank to filter as old one was collapsed apparently new filter new pump the fuel filter filled up fairly quickly after a few cranks however the fuel coming out of the pump barely flows I am definitely getting vacuum pressure from the engine the new line is a bit longer than the old one is that my issue or am I looking at a bigger issue
Have you checked the vent hole in the fuel cap? If plugged you would be able to draw fuel out but at lesser amounts as the vacuum in the tank increases, until the pump can't overcome the vacuum.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Have you checked the vent hole in the fuel cap? If plugged you would be able to draw fuel out but at lesser amounts as the vacuum in the tank increases, until the pump can't overcome the vacuum.

Cheers,
Gordy
I will double check that when I get home it's always the little things you forget to check haha I'm also gonna bypass the fuel filter temporarily as well as I may have gotten the wrong one

·
Premium Member
3,133 Posts
I will double check that when I get home it's always the little things you forget to check haha I'm also gonna bypass the fuel filter temporarily as well as I may have gotten the wrong one
On the filter. I pick mine up at the tractor shows, $.50 for the smaller ones and $.75 for the bigger ones. These are the clear plastic with a yellowish pleated paper element. For the most part the smaller ones work fine, however I have had issues with a few of them not letting enough fuel through to run the engine. Now wether that was a manufacturing defect with the paper being made too tight (holes too small), or a fuel additive may have caused the paper to swell enough to close the holes, at any rate the paper looked clean and perfect. At our low fuel pressure I now just opt for the larger filter and have not had a problem since.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
On the filter. I pick mine up at the tractor shows, $.50 for the smaller ones and $.75 for the bigger ones. These are the clear plastic with a yellowish pleated paper element. For the most part the smaller ones work fine, however I have had issues with a few of them not letting enough fuel through to run the engine. Now wether that was a manufacturing defect with the paper being made too tight (holes too small), or a fuel additive may have caused the paper to swell enough to close the holes, at any rate the paper looked clean and perfect. At our low fuel pressure I now just opt for the larger filter and have not had a problem since.

Cheers,
Gordy
Ok so beginning to think I have a defective pump as direct feed from the tank with the cap off produced same sluggish amount of fuel nothing like new parts that don't work anyone have a good ts method for the pumps

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Are you still talking electric pump, or conventional pulse pump?

What happens if you remove fuel hose from pump, and lower hose, lower then fuel tank? constant flow of fuel?
Pulse pump and yes fuel runs freely when lowered below the tank starting to pull what's left of my hair out cause it's making no sense definitely getting fuel into the pump but not beyond

·
Administrator
6,526 Posts
Pulse pump and yes fuel runs freely when lowered below the tank starting to pull what's left of my hair out cause it's making no sense definitely getting fuel into the pump but not beyond
Is this a new pulse pump, or an old one?

So, to step back a moment, the current pump doesn't fill the carb? How do you know this?

Earlier on, you had an electric fuel pump mounted on it, and it overfilled the carb bowl? FYI, all of my tractors have an electric fuel pump. I find they work way better as compared to the pulse pump. Leave tractor sit for 6 months, and you'll understand why I prefer the electric ones,, BUT, it has to be the correct ones! Look at this page, and find #40163.

Anyways, back to yours, I'm trying to determine what your pulse pump is not doing. Can you post a picture on your pulse pump, with all hoses connected.

If you don't mind, pull the fuel hose off the carb, and stick that end, into a jar. Turn motor over a couple times, say 3 times, with 10 seconds bursts, How much fuel in jar? 1 ounce, 2,ounce,3 ?

The other thing you can test is (to convince yourself) is get a spare chunk of fuel line, stick one end on carb, and other end to a bottle or container that's nippled down to the other end of fuel line. Stick container and fuel line higher then motor and gravity feed the carb. Does it run? Gravity feed should work as a test, (done that a couple times for test purposes,)

·
Administrator
6,526 Posts
I should also mention,, It's been a whiles since I played with pulse pumps. If memory serves me correctly,, for some reason one of the nipples on the pulse pump, is closed off, (Let's call it the blank end) You sure the hose on nipple from pulse pump to carb, is on the right nipple?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I should also mention,, It's been a whiles since I played with pulse pumps. If memory serves me correctly,, for some reason one of the nipples on the pulse pump, is closed off, (Let's call it the blank end) You sure the hose on nipple from pulse pump to carb, is on the right nipple?
This is a new pump I ordered and it doesnt appear to be pumping the electric pump that was installed by the previous owner was much too powerful it was putting out about 4 to 7 psi according to the specs I found and I only need about 1 to 1.5 psi from what I've been told. the engine would idle but immediately died if you gave it throttle and had lots of fuel in my engine oil. I will take pictures later of the pump per request far as amount of fuel coming out that would be under an Oz

·
Administrator
6,526 Posts
Here's a video of a guy testing a fuel pump.. He makes it pretty simple.

Do you have impulse pressure to fuel pump? In the video, he describes how he tests it. I don't suppose you have a small vacuum pressure gauge? Sticking it onto the pulse hose, would indicate what you're getting for vacuum from the motor.

He also test how much flows into a bottle after about 30 seconds of testing.

So, really, the next step is to determine if it's the pump, or poor vacuum pressure. You don't have another tractor around by chance? Like a craftsman or something else? Their pumps typically use the same principle, and all are low pressure.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·

Do you have impulse pressure to fuel pump? In the video, he describes how he tests it. I don't suppose you have a small vacuum pressure gauge? Sticking it onto the pulse hose, would indicate what you're getting for vacuum from the motor.

So, really, the next step is to determine if it's the pump, or poor vacuum pressure. You don't have another tractor around by chance? Like a craftsman or something else? Their pumps typically use the same principle, and all are low pressure.
I have a 3012 sitting right next to it I was thinking about borrowing the pump off it to test the vacuum I'll give that a whirl this evening as for the test he did in the video that is the same thing I did so glad to see I'm not totally crazy haha

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·

I have a 3012 sitting right next to it I was thinking about borrowing the pump off it to test the vacuum

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I have a 3012 sitting right next to it I was thinking about borrowing the pump off it to test the vacuum
Update put the new pump on the 3012 and it fired right up and the pump off the 3012 got a few drops in the jar off the carb line sooooo now I'm thinking vacuum issue unfortunately what kind of mess am I looking at

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Update put the new pump on the 3012 and it fired right up and the pump off the 3012 got a few drops in the jar off the carb line sooooo now I'm thinking vacuum issue unfortunately what kind of mess am I looking at
Update of update sorry for the multiple posts rigged up a gravity feed and she runs not beautifully but runs nonetheless

·
Administrator
6,526 Posts
Well, Vacuum is created by movement of piston and valves. So, this would indicate a problem there. The guy that stuck the 12 volt pump on it, likely stuck it on there, because of that issue. Not knowing what condition the motor is in,,

I will say, if you stick the correct 12 volt pump on there you'd be moving on to the next problem.

Have a read of this thread below. It also lists a part number which currently lists for $49.95. That's the latest one I stuck on my 446. The motor on the 446 is/was new a few years ago, the carb, was new at the same time. After using several of these now, obviously, you won't get me back to OEM pump.

Short of that, you'll have to figure out why you're not building up vacuum pressure. Have you ever spoken with Boomer? I'd suggest a discussion with Bob would be timely about now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Well, Vacuum is created by movement of piston and valves. So, this would indicate a problem there. The guy that stuck the 12 volt pump on it, likely stuck it on there, because of that issue. Not knowing what condition the motor is in,,

I will say, if you stick the correct 12 volt pump on there you'd be moving on to the next problem.

Have a read of this thread below. It also lists a part number which currently lists for $49.95. That's the latest one I stuck on my 446. The motor on the 446 is/was new a few years ago, the carb, was new at the same time. After using several of these now, obviously, you won't get me back to OEM pump.

Short of that, you'll have to figure out why you're not building up vacuum pressure. Have you ever spoken with Boomer? I'd suggest a discussion with Bob would be timely
I haven't spoken with Boomer yet but Bob has chimed in a time or 2 on this thread 2 things I thought of earlier first would shortening the tank to filter hose help as I haven't trimmed to fit yet purely for testing purposes and still working on clearing the fuel contaminated oil from the engine on my 2nd filter and 3rd oil change thus far would that have an effect on vacuum issue ?

21 - 40 of 48 Posts