Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm almost to the point of putting one of the B48's back into my 80' 448. When I bought the tractor the engine was already pulled and it came with a spare. As I was looking at both engines tonight I realized one is straight shaft the other is a tapered shaft, other than this they are identical.

Did Case use both versions (Straight and tapered) and if not which one am I suppose to use?

Thanks
Joe

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Ditto Boomer's comment.

I've used three BFA engines from Onan 4Kw gensets to repower tractors. They were so clean and low hours, I didn't even pull the bottom end apart for inspection.

If you have a friend with a large lathe, you can actually turn the crank to a 1" diameter w/o tearing down the engine. Mose would scoff at cutting a woodruff key slot with a dremel, however, my patience level is higher than many. I've just finished putting one into a 446 (Thurs night) that will be finished this weekend, and then soon (hopefully) off to another owner.

:letitsnow:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ray_Wilson_KC said:
Ditto Boomer's comment.

I've used three BFA engines from Onan 4Kw gensets to repower tractors. They were so clean and low hours, I didn't even pull the bottom end apart for inspection.

If you have a friend with a large lathe, you can actually turn the crank to a 1" diameter w/o tearing down the engine. Mose would scoff at cutting a woodruff key slot with a dremel, however, my patience level is higher than many. I've just finished putting one into a 446 (Thurs night) that will be finished this weekend, and then soon (hopefully) off to another owner.

:letitsnow:
I was just looking at the shafts tonight and see the straight shaft is 1 1/8" od and the tapered starts and 1 1/8" tapering down to 1" at the end. I'm assuming once turned down to 1" I'd just need a new Lovejoy with a 1" ID then I'm ready to install, correct?

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Bingo!

I just completed installation of the BFA from the Onan Genset today in a 446. 105lbs compression, no negligable leakdown, starts easily.

If you decide to pursue this further, just go slow and steady as you cut the slot for the woodruff key. I have a pic or two I could send you of how it was "chucked" in the lathe if it would be helpful.

RW

·
Registered
2,830 Posts
Simply because it was easier to "carve" into the crankshaft with a dremel tool than trying to cut a slot for keyway (and keep it straight!!!). Ideally, I'd remove the crank, but it's been so easy to do this way, and yet to encounter problems. But... the first one I did has only been in service for about a year... :think:

I neglected to add that I stack 3 (or 4) cutoff wheels in my dremel to ease the removal of the material required for the woodruff key to "bed" in the crankshaft.

Regards,
G-hopper

·
Administrator
3,283 Posts
Hi Ray and group,
I've also done that with a Dremel tool, but never admitted it until now!! Actually it worked out very well and I had setup the Dremel in an adjustable stand to hold it in place. I also used the Dremel in the same stand and turned the crankshaft to mark where I wanted to cut it on a metal cutting band saw. I did need to get a good quality bimetal sawblade however.
Mad Mackie in CT playing with model trains this time of year!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :mowlawn:

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
boomers_influence said:
club
i have found that most gen set blocks,
make very good donor blocks.
especially those that ran at 1800 rpm.
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy)
My neighbor has a generator with an onan motor that runs great (generator died) that I can get cheap. It is a 4000watt and tag say 1800 rpm.

What do I need to look at to determine if this would make a good motor for a tractor? Underneath the shrouding It appears identical to the Onans I have for my tractors.

If it's a good donor, for the price $50, I just can't pass it up.

Thanks
Joe

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Find the engine ID plate and carefully record all the information. Then, contact Boomer. Go to the Members icon at the top of the page, right side and click on it. Then find Boomer on the list and click on his name. Over on the left side are two icons for PM and e-Mail.

Take your pick... he answers both.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Hey guys,

I just read this post and then checked my BF engine out of my 74' Case 446 and I notices that my crank shaft is indeed tapered.

Does this mean it wasn't the original engine or did Case install some with tapered shafts? This has really got me wondering...

Nate

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
The flywheel end of the crankshaft is always tapered. The end that drives the pump was always a straight shaft with a key way cut into it. I don't know how one would install a LoveJoy onto a tapered shaft unless the shaft was center-drilled and threaded so that a special LoveJoy half could be installed.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Sorry I misunderstood. I was talking about the crank shaft taper where the flywheel is attached to the crank, that's what I thought they were talking about. I thought they said the ones with taper came from gensets. So they were referring to gensets having a tapered shaft where the lovejoy would go if transplanted into a Case as a replacement engine? Phew!!!

Sorry I'm new to all this...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.