Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me how to check the gap on my spark plugs?? And also I noticed that one of the wires to the spark plug is all corroded and rusted. Sorry don't know the technical terms. I'm trying to go through all the stuff I can to get this engine running properly. I put new spark plugs in and I just removed the air filter pan so I could get at the points and condesor. Wanted to check the gap on those aswell. The engine runs but it still hunts terribly even after adjusting the carburetor like boomer told me to do. I think I was adjusting the right screws. The engine needs to be choked slightly and the hunting stops but that also puts it into a higher idle. The tractor pretty much stalls when I put the throttle on low and choke at zero. With the throttle wide open and choke off the engine spits and sputters and even seems to want to hunt a bit. Anymore suggestions guys would be greatly appreciated. Could this all be caused by the points or plugs???

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I would suggest that you go to your local auto parts store such as NAPA and purchase a combination-style spark plug/point gap feeler gauge. One end will have a series of L-shaped rods that fold out like a Swiss-army knife. These rods are marked in thousands of an inch for setting the gap on spark plugs. The other end of the tool will have several flat pieces of metal that are also marked in thousands of an inch and are used to gap the points. There are many variations on that tool. The one at the top of this page is similar to what I described.

http://www.mytoolstore.com/kd/kdfeel02.html

Gapping the spark plugs is not difficult but care is needed. Here is some help.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/t ... -plug.html

New spark plug wires can be bought at the auto parts store as well. Make sure you get the type with real wire in the middle of it.

As for the points, go to the Tech Library/Service Manuals/Engines and read the Onan manual.

I would also suggest that you purchase a bottle of Seafoam from the auto parts store, read the instructions and then use it appropriately. Setting the spark plug gap, point gap, valve lash etc are all important things to do but residue in the carb's passages and jets can cause uneven running. The Seafoam will HELP with that problem but it may not cure it 100 Newpercent. Another issue with Onan engines is leaky intake gaskets and a leaky intake manifold. The manifold is cast in two pieces and the sealant fails over time. You may have to take the manifold apart and reseal it. There was a thread on here showing how that was done. Perhaps someone will locate that for you and post it here.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.