Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have installed a ford 130 amp alternator on my case 448 I use it to charge my battery instead of the factory setup .Another use for the alternator is dc arc welding I use a dimmer switch and engine speed to control output for various thickness steel.If anyone is interested in this I can take pictures or share detailed information on the simple setup.This setup is very affordable $50-$100 if you can get a good used alternator at a good price.The quality of welds generated are amazing for the money.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some pictures

Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Purple Motor vehicle Wood Pink Art Magenta Tints and shades Purple Hood Automotive tire Violet Line Automotive lighting Hood Purple Motor vehicle Bumper
well here is some pictures ?do't know why they are upside-down?the beads on the rusty front blade bracket are mine ( amature welder) the beads on the black tow hook bracket are done by my brother James (much better welding skills)
james helped me setup my onboard welder.looking back it is a pretty simple deal.1 12 volt - wire to field on alternator . one 12 volt+ to switch with dimmer inline to other field on alternator

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
your work lead connects to the + output of the alternator. the ground clamp is bolted to the mounting stud of alternator.*caution* this causes the whole tractor to be grounded so if you accidently touch the welding rod to the tractor it will arc. I run a 6 inch pulley on the engine and a 2 inch on the alternator to get the rpms up .the inline dimmer switch on the 12 volt positive reduces power output of the arc.
look at the video of James welding it makes a distinct whining sound when welding he has like 2 more weldinator videos as well . I dont mow with my tractor ,but it is sweet to have alternator and welder on it .Almost forgot the alternator is in use as my charging system I use a 2 wire quick connect on the field wires and hook alternator to battery using a dodge voltage regulator (85 dodge van) for normal use .when i want to weld I switch the connector to the dimmer switch circuit and hook the work cable to the alternator output instead of the battery
just make sure you get it wired correctly and test with a dc multimeter before use to check output and to mark dimmer settings if you wish to do so i will post more pics in a while

·
Registered
457 Posts
Awesome welder set up. I got to laughing though when I realized what he was welding in the video. I have a cement mixer exactly like that and the handle is broken almost exactly the same way... It's just sitting there, this may give me the motivation needed, thanks... not that I'm looking forward to pouring any concrete soon.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
everyone is welcome I have been using my weldinator quite a bit lately it is the most useful attachment I have

·
Administrator
1973 Case 444, 1974 Case 644, 1976 Case 446, 1977 Case 646
2,279 Posts
It would be a great asset to do repair work out in the field on broken equipment. I watched the video and had to laugh to myself that this is a "don't do this at home video." Not much safety equipment used by the guy doing the welding.
Keep the Peace :trink:
Harry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
you are right its usually the guy that does work of any danger enough times to be comfortable doing it.When you get comfortable or in a hurry is when accidents happen be safe everyone!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts