Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Process Mechanic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onan P16 and it is leaking oil from dipstick tube. I ordered and received a seal(o-ring) from Cummings Northeast. Problem is how to remove tube. Is it threaded in or pressed in? I used a strap wrench so as not to damage tube but will not budge. Any help is much appreciated!

·
Process Mechanic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have an Onan P16 and it is leaking oil from dipstick tube. I ordered and received a seal(o-ring) from Cummings Northeast. Problem is how to remove tube. Is it threaded in or pressed in? I used a strap wrench so as not to damage tube but will not budge. Any help is much appreciated!
Yes Bob,and
Yes Bob,and a 0509-0412 also.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
1,549 Posts
Sam,
The dipstick tube is just a press fit into the 509-0269 rubber grommet. Normally do not fit too tight when the rubber is new and soft, perhaps it's welded itself to the seal due to heat? I think it just will need some careful persuasion. Perhaps a little heat at the grommet from a propane torch may loosen things up?

Bob

·
Process Mechanic
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sam,
The dipstick tube is just a press fit into the 509-0269 rubber grommet. Normally do not fit too tight when the rubber is new and soft, perhaps it's welded itself to the seal due to heat? I think it just will need some careful persuasion. Perhaps a little heat at the grommet from a propane torch may loosen things up?

Bob
Thanks Bob for your advice! It worked. I didn't want to bubba it and ruin tube.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts