Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,123 Posts
Ray,

My original thought was to mount it like your PO did. But then thinking about it the relay is sealed pretty weather tight but having the connections where they will be exposed to extra dust, dirt and blowing snow may lead to problems. Another concern of it being mounted to the engine would be how long the relay can hold up to the vibrations of the engine. If you have ever opened a relay, you know they look petty delicate in side.

Gordy

·
Registered
639 Posts
Gordy,

You're right, that location on the side of the engine does expose the terminals (which are not weather sealed on the relay the PO added) to dust/dirt/snow that could lead to corrosion issues. The relay I plan on using is fully sealed with Delphi Metri-Pack terminals (I had some extras left over from another project). So I was going to re-locate it up under the hood mostly for appearance purposes (more of a factory installed look). But now that you mention it, I can definitely see where direct exposure to engine vibrations could shorten the life of the relay so that's another good reason to move it.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Gordy,

I have enclose JD schematic on the relay to start better. I don't like where they mounted it. It si simple that way, but I prefered under the hood.

Bill

·
Registered
49 Posts
Shot of starter relay mount

Used #10 wire to feed relay and ran all the way down to the starter solenoid. The 30 amp fuse is out of the starter loop now. I also ran #10 to the fuse and from the fuse to the switch. Tom

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just in case the subject comes up; Solid State relays, although they are more reliable than mechanical relays over time, a Solid State relay has a significant voltage drop across the relay terminals, which could make a situation like this even worse. A mechanical relay has little to no voltage drop across the terminals, if the relay is in good condition.

Dennis

I just realized this was an old thread. I don't know why it was displayed as a new post.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts