Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 3 pt hitch off a late 80s model tractor. The hitch is mostly complete but i want to paint it before putting it on my '99 Ingersoll 4018. First of all i was wondering what paint color to use to match my tractor. Are Ingersolls of that era Power Red? I am not looking for show quality....just decent looking and durable. I do not have a sandblaster but do have a gravity spray gun. Should I paint it with a rattle can, brush or air compressor spray gun. Should I paint over the old paint or prime it first? Where is the best place to buy good paint? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
Paint Options

The Case International dealers should have both the rattle cans and paint mixes. For a component like a hitch perhaps get a wire brush that fits on a drill, prep, prime and rattle can. If you want to get involved with the spraying here is what I have done, I am no expert but got great results:

Purchased: B17672LF Case Power Red, 991078R1 Case Red Oxide Primer ,Valspar Renew PaintHardener REN3001, B17692 Thinner
Prepared with wire brush (removed all paint). Hit remaining rust with naval jelly.
Primed with Case Ironguard
Ended the priming process with 3M 1000wet dry sand. I set the gun at 40 PSI on the compressor, 30PSI on the gun valve and delivered at 20 PSI. I mixed the paint thinner and hardener at 8:1:1 ratio. Slowly mixed in. I bought mixing cups at West Marine and did an oz of each first shot then 1/2 next tow-8 oz-1oz-1oz, etc. I sprayed a light coat first and let it set up. The second coat I layed it on. The third coat just kind of went over things.
Again, I think you would get adequate results with the rattle can and the hitch will get wear and scratches anyway unlike the tractor itself, hood, fenders, etc.

I did my plow with a rattle can years ago and it still looks great.
PS I prep to bare metal, see what others say.
Rich

·
Tractor Whisper
3,703 Posts

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
Walmart has on the shelf her in my town now. You can get a case of 6 cans of lobster red at home depot on line order for just under $ 4.00 shipped to your house or you can pick it up at the store you will save the shipping that way. Lobster red is a exact match

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Scott, Glad you were able to get that 3 pt, did you get the PTO as well? I have never used the Lobster red, but I have heard that it matches in pretty nice. The Case paint will be a lot more pricey, but it is VERY good paint!.. Attached is a link of where I buy the paint for my restos...

http://www.tractorpartsasap.com/Tractor-Paint-Case-Flambeau-Red-Aerosol-p/100349.htm?CartID=1

It is the older shade of Flambeau... but it is soooo close, it will be hard to tell the difference.
Good luck!!
Dave

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.