Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

paint

7K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  troll 
#1 ·
i suspect this has been asked before, but here goes. working a 1973 446 and want to blast and paint. can anyone tell me what colour the red and tan is called on these tractors. i looked at the codes so it would be easy to match up. thank-you

#2 ·
The correct paint is available at your local Case/IH dealer.

The correct names for the colours are Power Red and Desert Sunset...... accept no substitutes. Some dealers are not too bright, sad to say..... and they try to tell you that IH Red is the same thing. NOT.

If you have a problem, then Google "Messick's tractor". They are a Case/IH dealer that will mail you a quart of each. Use a hardener if you want the best results.

#8 ·
I like the Tisco brand of paint better than the IH CASE Iron Guard Enamel. I am informed that it is made by Valspar, but it is not like the Valspar Tractor paint that I have used in the past. Tisco has Flambeau Red. They also have what they call JI Case Desert Sand (TP 130). Be sure to use a good hardener and reducer.

#9 ·
The name "Desert Sand" is a mis-nomer.

The correct name for the paint is Desert Sunset. J. I. Case never used "Desert Sand" to describe a paint colour used by them. However, somewhere along the way, Desert Sand came into being and has crept into the vocabulary of those who are in the business of making paint. How that happened, I cannot say. It just makes things confusing.

#12 ·
Your inquiry isn't the slightest bit off topic. Powder coating is simply a different method of applying paint but it is still paint.

Ingersoll powder coats their tractors and has done so for years. Some where, I have some info from a supplier of powder. I'll look for it and if I find it, I will post it here.

#13 ·
If I recall, someone was powder coating their Case tractor on MTF and had a ton of pictures with info on the color he was using. It was a while ago though. I painted my entire tractor with the Messicks paint and I couldn't be happier. I would never go and powder coat it if I was using it for what its intended purpose was as I couldn't live with myself if I scratched it after forking over a LOT of money to have the entire thing coated.

#14 ·
Hydriv said:
Your inquiry isn't the slightest bit off topic. Powder coating is simply a different method of applying paint but it is still paint.

Ingersoll powder coats their tractors and has done so for years. Some where, I have some info from a supplier of powder. I'll look for it and if I find it, I will post it here.
Thanks Tom. I also recall seeing a thread on another forum where a guy had his Case powder coated but can't recall the powder coat # or manufacturer. The reason I ask is because the business that I used to blast and prime the hood and fenders of my 446 and my UB54 charges the same amount for blasting and powder coating as they do for blasting and priming. I can see the pros and cons of powder coating but think it might be a viable option for certain pieces if I can find a close match to power red. IMO, I can see the benefits of powder coating wheels especially if one intends to fill them with liquid.

Thanks - Tim

#15 ·
tss8690 said:
Hydriv said:

Thanks Tom. I also recall seeing a thread on another forum where a guy had his Case powder coated but can't recall the powder coat # or manufacturer. The reason I ask is because the business that I used to blast and prime the hood and fenders of my 446 and my UB54 charges the same amount for blasting and powder coating as they do for blasting and priming. I can see the pros and cons of powder coating but think it might be a viable option for certain pieces if I can find a close match to power red. IMO, I can see the benefits of powder coating wheels especially if one intends to fill them with liquid.

Thanks - Tim
I don't have an issue with powder coating itself but I do see the potential for a problematic restoration.

Ask any experienced body shop painter and he will tell you exactly what I am telling you. If you intend to spray a complete car, then you mix up more paint than you think you will need for the job. That way, everything SHOULD come out the same colour even though you might shoot different parts on different days. Of course, it would be wise to spray Power Red onto the hood, fenders, frame seat pedestal all at the same time as those parts are right next to one another. Axles, rims and small parts are of lesser importance because of the distance between them and the large items.

To me, therein lies the problem with perhaps powder coating just the fenders and hood on a red tractor. On a Sunset tractor, the issue is greatly reduced since the frame is a different colour. If memory serves me right, the fellow on MTF power coated almost every piece of his tractor.

I looked up that old e-mail for you. It relates to a telephone conversation I had with Rick Achteroff of Diamond-Vogel paints. They also own Van Sickle http://www.vansicklepaint.com/tractor/v ... olors.html. He sent me a spec sheet for the Power Red powder that they have been supplying Eastman's sub-contractor with. It's my understanding that Eastman is no longer doing their own powder coating even though all that equipment was included in the deal when they bought the assets of the old Ingersoll company. Ingersoll began powder coating back in the early 90's, or so I've been told. This was done to comply with new environmental laws governing VOC emissions.

PLX-2667-03 is the Diamond-Vogel product number for Power Red TGIC polyester powder.

Your contractor should be able to access this product via one of his suppliers. Rick and I talked about Desert Sunset powder as well but since no one is using this colour, DV has never developed a powder to match. However, Rick said that any of DV's distributor's should have no problem matching a sample panel that has been sprayed with Sunset. DV has a wide range of standard colours and he felt confident that one of them would be so close to the OEM Sunset that no one would take issue with it.

Here's a link to Hoober's to give our members a bench-mark value for OEM Sunset paint in a gallon container.

http://www.hoober.com/product_details.asp?pn=B17652LF

#16 ·
This may sound a little Dutch but, I have mixed my own paint for the implements and different parts of the tractor that take abuse (front / rear axles ) . I mix Trem Clad Zesty Orange & Fire Red , the majority of the colour is Zesty Oronge and add the Fire Red by small amounts until you are content with the mixed colour. The paint has a rubber base compound and paints over rusty metal quite well. This won't be show quality but keeps the rust and deterioration at bay.

have a good one --- oldfrank---

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.