Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Snap-fast pins and control levers on my '74 444 are pretty rusty from lack of care by PO. I've tried cold galvanizing spray from Rustoleum and aluminum spray also. Neither are close to the factory finish and the cold galvanizing spray looked like primer. Just wondering what others have used as they were fixing up their projects.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Haven`t used it on a tractor, but you could send them out to cadmium plated.
Or nickled. Or if orginality is not an issue, you could have them Parkerized, Possibly cheaper to buy new parts . Depends on where you live and your relationship with the local plater.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
There was rust on my throttle lever so when I had it apart I cleaned it then used the brush on Rustoleum aluminum paint. Looks pretty good, but is not the same as the choke lever so the difference is obvious. But I'd be happy if they both looked like that - it's perfect for a worker, not so much for a restorer.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
99flhr said:
Haven`t used it on a tractor, but you could send them out to cadmium plated.
Or nickled. Or if orginality is not an issue, you could have them Parkerized, Possibly cheaper to buy new parts . Depends on where you live and your relationship with the local plater.
:headscratcher: :headscratcher: Wonder how much Gold Plating Costs ? :trink:

·
Registered
352 Posts
Some steel wool, gun oil and elbow grease will remove the rust if it is not too pitted. Then polish them up with a cloth buffing wheel. This is what most gun dealers do to clean up a firearm without removing or damaging the original finish. If done patiently, the results can be impressive.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replys. The rust was pretty bad, especially on the PTO lever. I have wire wheeled the rust off, now just trying to get them to look presentable and not rust up again. Re-plating is not an affordable option. This is a work tractor, so I guess I will stick with the paint. Thinking about looking at "hammer finish" paint. Lowes has a pretty decent selection of specialty paints. I'll check out what they have. I will try JSB Case's suggestion on the pins though. They haven't been wire wheeled. I don't think paint will hold up well on those anyway. :chopwood:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.