Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Ordered used pumps from a fella in Ontario. Has a web site and takes apart tractors and sells parts. But he doesn’t ship he says. I said that’s to bad I would have bought both pumps. Oh, he says, let me see what I can do. Any way, I got two pumps. Nice fella. Three days to get here. Not to bad for regular Canada post delivery. $25.00 for shipping. So let’s just hope one of them works and that the tractor will move. I liked his choice of shipping box too !!! My pump is the orange one.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
So I don’t know if I mentioned this, but the mowing deck was seized up too. After sitting outside for a number of years. So today I figured I’d try and figure out how to get the deck off. And that way I could unseize it maybe. And be able to get at the hydrualic stuff. Nut 1 1/8” on centre pulley, so found a wrench to see if it would turn a few pulls either way and it started to move. Easier and easier as I turned it. So made a complete or more turn each way. Seemed loose enough. So started the engine, clicked on the pto, electric on this one, and away it went. Sounded good. Tryed a couple of times. Seem ok. I think the belt was stuck to the pulley was some of the trouble. Will grease and oil things if I can get the deck out. But I’d say if the hydraulics were working it would cut grass with not problem. On to the next step.

Noel

·
Registered
117 Posts
So I don’t know if I mentioned this, but the mowing deck was seized up too. After sitting outside for a number of years. So today I figured I’d try and figure out how to get the deck off. And that way I could unseize it maybe. And be able to get at the hydrualic stuff. Nut 1 1/8” on centre pulley, so found a wrench to see if it would turn a few pulls either way and it started to move. Easier and easier as I turned it. So made a complete or more turn each way. Seemed loose enough. So started the engine, clicked on the pto, electric on this one, and away it went. Sounded good. Tryed a couple of times. Seem ok. I think the belt was stuck to the pulley was some of the trouble. Will grease and oil things if I can get the deck out. But I’d say if the hydraulics were working it would cut grass with not problem. On to the next step.

Noel
I always like a little penetrating lube, oil or grease before spinning with power. Hopefully being dry things did not wear too much.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Should be okay, only ran it three short times, 2 or 3 seconds each, only 1/2 throttle too. I'm sure it will be fine. But I get your point.

Noel

·
Registered
534 Posts
Ordered used pumps from a fella in Ontario. Has a web site and takes apart tractors and sells parts. But he doesn’t ship he says. I said that’s to bad I would have bought both pumps. Oh, he says, let me see what I can do. Any way, I got two pumps. Nice fella. Three days to get here. Not to bad for regular Canada post delivery. $25.00 for shipping. So let’s just hope one of them works and that the tractor will move. I liked his choice of shipping box too !!! My pump is the orange one.

Noel
Can you share his contact info please? We're a whole gang of Case nuts in Ontario

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Tractor maybe going to my sons place. He has a hoist. Be easier to work on hydraulics.

Noel

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
So got a hydraulic line off the Case 224 today and found a small amount of aluminum pieces in the fluid from the chewed up pump. So I’ll have to continue on farther. This line goes from the pump to the pto valve at the back of the tractor first then returns to the travel valve. Seemed strange, but that’s the way it’s hooked up. All original lines, so that is the way it was done, I figure. If there was no pto valve, the outlet from the pump would go directly to the travel valve.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
So today it took of some lines and drain oil out of them and cleaned. Some were dirty some not. Hardly any aluminum pieces in any of it. So I’ll clean the hydraulic tank and inlet hose. I’ll install the pump. Where it comes back to the hydraulic tank, I will have a container to put the oil into. And not back into the tank. I’ll have to get a bunch of oil. And start flushing. Doing one section at a time. Do the main system first, then both cylinders, then the drive motor. Hopefully it works.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
352 Posts
That seems like a good plan to remove the metal. Of course it will use lots of oil, but at least it will flush it well. That 3 point is interesting! I put one on from a 400 series on my 1974 224. The 3 point looks like it is a factory unit, but very different from the 400 series ones. On mine I added the rear hydraulic PTO, 3 point, and Flow Control Valve for tilling. Lots of lines, as I also added a selector valve to switch from the center lift to the 3 point. Lots of work, but makes switching from one to the other a breeze. I had to fabricate the PTO mount, and a new handle for that also-----
Metalguy
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Tomorrow maybe the day I see if it drives and operates all the controls. Mostly all back together just two lines to hook up and will start flushing the system. Cleaned out what I could, so will see what happens. Gunna be a messy day maybe. Oil everywhere. Hehe.
Nice looking three point you have there metalguy. The top part of mine is factory I’d say. But the lower arms are homemade. By somebody. And the lift cylinder is not original either , I would say. If I get thing going. I’m hoping to widen my lower arms so it will be a true catorgory 0 three point hitch. They are only 12/13 apart now.

Noel

·
Registered
352 Posts
My 3 point is mostly stock, but I had to rebuild most of it, as all the holes in it were worn, so I drilled them out, and welded bushings back to stock size, and the upper arms I replaced completely, as they had been rewelded many times, and weren't even aligned properly anymore. Of course, I also had to rebuild the lift cylinder, as it was leaking like a sieve. I hope you have great luck with getting her moving, and working! -----Metalguy

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
It’s alive. !!!! Flushed her out and topped it up with 15-40. Used about 20 litres or more to flush and fill. Took her out for a couple of drives, but each time I went out it started raining. And when I’d go back in, the rain would stop. Jumpins any way, but it seems to work. Still small things to fix up yet but she’s a useable tractor at this point. I put the mowing deck back on next week and try that out. Thanks for following along, still more to come, but not as involved.

Noel

Attachments

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
So had it out driving around , in the rain, couldn’t wait for the rain to stop. Any way. So far it’s working good. Having a little trouble with the rear hitch hose routing. If you handle for the rear pto is move the wrong way, it kills the engine. Fluid won’t move and it dead heads, so a buddy, who is a diesel mechanic and does hydraulic work on these trucks, he was telling me this. And this is maybe what ruined the old pump. Maybe.
How do I route hoses to stop this. This hook up is homemade, not original. I don’t need to use the 3 point hitch for now. Some day I may hook it up. How does the 3 point lift if it was original ?

Noel

·
Registered
117 Posts
You need to install a hose that connects the two implement ports so that if the lever gets hit, fluid will flow through the hose and not dead head. Yes, dead heading will kill the pump. Some use a long hose that when an implement is hooked up functions as the full supply or return line. I installed a short hose (18" I think) and just connect that to one of the hoses on my implements. I wanted the shortest bypass hose as possible as 99% of the time I am not running a rear hydraulic implement.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
You need to install a hose that connects the two implement ports so that if the lever gets hit, fluid will flow through the hose and not dead head. Yes, dead heading will kill the pump. Some use a long hose that when an implement is hooked up functions as the full supply or return line. I installed a short hose (18" I think) and just connect that to one of the hoses on my implements. I wanted the shortest bypass hose as possible as 99% of the time I am not running a rear hydraulic implement.
Agreed, My 224 with tiller came to me set up with a hose in one PTO valve port with a quick connect on the other end of the hose, and a mating quick connect on the other port of the valve. The tiller is set up the same way, and as mentioned the hoses are long enough to reach the tiller. A side benefit of this is it keeps the QC's clean when in storage ;) Although some worry about hooking something with the hose loop on the back of the tractor, I have not had a problem with that.

Cheers,
Gordy

Edit as I recall from replacing those hoses, they were 24" long.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
I’m hoping to reinstall the deck tomorrow and see if it will cut grass. Had the deck running before I took it off to put the pump in. I need to do a little welding on the hook up point on the deck first thou. And it needs a lot of rust repair. But I can test it out with out doing that now. And will look at the hose problem at the rear pto too tomorrow.
I bet and am only guessing that, that’s what ruined the pump on the previous owner, that while he was cutting grass the pto lever got hooked up in a tree branch and move the lever into the dead head position and did the pump in.

Noel

21 - 40 of 43 Posts