Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off I want to give a big public thanks to Bill.H for driving up and checking out this machine for me, giving me a bunch of pointers, and even a few heads up for the future. He's a swell guy!

I don't know if anyone recalls my introductory post, where I was looking at a 224 my neighbor had for sale, well I passed up that offer. Instead I bought a John Deere 314 with a plow. I immediatly had an odd sense of buyers remorse. The Case bug had bit me.

Well my neighbor picked up a 444 a week or so ago...

So my 'new' John Deere 314 fell victim to the inflated market value for certain old green and yellow garden tractors and traded the Deere and $300 back to my neighbor- for the newely aquirred Case 444 with the 224's snocaster, a mower deck, and a sleeve hitch- attatched happily to a rotortiller! The tractor is in great shape, well taken care of, and the hydraulic drive is just sooo smooth.

These tractors really are neat. I am pretty happy I chose not to jump on the 224 or I would of missed out on this amazing machine.

Would be nice to have a cab though. Speaking of cabs though, the 224's cab is being offered up for sale seperately- if anyone wants the sellers number just PM me.

Nothing was wrong with the 314, it was a damn nice tractor, but the Case is just awesome, not to mention it comes off as the more practical choice.

If anyone cares, my neighbor has already found a buyer for the 314 I owned for a grand total of two weeks, which is good for him.

·
Administrator
8,002 Posts
OEF Veteran: Yes, remember your post. :thumbsup: Congratulations on the new tractor, it looks awesome! :usa: :usa: :usa: Very nice condition, looks like it was treated with respect. :thumbup: I'd love to get a tiller eventually.
:222: :446: Best Regards, Rich

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
With no disrespect intended, I don't think that you realize what an amazing find that tractor happens to be.

I suspect that it was bought new from someone who owned it up until recently and kept it stored inside whenever he was not using it. The seat is the original and that is very unusual after all these years. The loss of the headlamps (Speaker 777's) is baffling in light of the overall condition of the rest of the tractor. This is a 1971 444 with the correct, optional hydraulic PTO valve on the left side of the engine. The muffler is correct. The depth control knob is not missing nor is the steering wheel cap. Very unusual for a tractor this old.

This Kohler does have the balancing gears in it as it is hard mounted to the frame. You should check to make sure all four motor-mount bolts are still in place and that they are tight. Naturally, all fluids should be changed so that you know what's in the engine, trans-axle and hydraulic system. I would use the tractor and tiller for about ten hours and then change the hydraulic oil a 2nd time. Doing so will help purge any old oil remaining in the tiller/PTO lines.

Nice score. You have a little treasure there. Enjoy.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Glad I could help, Ryan! :trink: I'm really glad you got the 444. Did you get that deck we looked at? That seemed clean, too bad we couldn't check the bearings. We discussed the missing headlights and a seat swap (don't forget to carefully save the original!); that's about all thats needed for parts except maybe the PTO handle.
The snowcaster seemed ready to work but once you get it out of there check those bearings. otherwise it just needs a little cosmetic work and figure out that funky crank rod! I suspect it was rigged like that because of the cab.
I forget which machine needed the clutch adjusted. If it's the 444 there's a manual for that in the Tech Library.

Guys, this thing does NOT look its age. It's obviously done some work but it is really clean and rust free. Minor cracks in the seat but the pan is perfect with a nice decal. I don't believe this thing ever spent a night in the rain. What amazed me with this machine was that the muffler looks almost new. I mean, it's a lot nicer than my 3 year old mufflers! Started easily and with no visible smoke.
The cab he mentioned is in very good shape compared to the others I have seen. Just a little rust through at the very front edge of the roof (non-structural area) and it needs side windows. Then a little sanding and painting and it'll be good to go. The brackets are on it.

·
Garden Tractor Nerd
359 Posts
oefveteran - I'll agree with the others 100%. You have a Case treasure there for sure. It's as original as original can get. Even the tires on all four corners are original as well as the dust covers on the front wheel bearings. Usually the dust covers end up getting lost. The front tie rod isn't bent like a lot of them I see. And most of all it's the right colors! :thumbup:

Congratulations on your new to you Case 444. We all know you'll enjoy it very much indeed.

Kenneth

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Once I get the wife and kiddo into our new house I will have the time to perform the routine maintenance in my new garage (yes!). Come the end of that I'll be looking to get some wheel weights, new headlights, new tires, and a highback seat. Of course I would put the origional tires and this nice seat in storage- don't want to lose them!

Figure I'll put my old Compaq in the garage and load it up with manuals, and pictures of any dissassembly I do.

I just can't wait to get some real seat time, and to get down and dirty with this beast!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.