Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Adjustable wrench.... Yes, I read not to use one...... I guess I thought I was above the law LOL

BUT good thing is Brian /Salem Power Equipment has already set me up with a new nut. So I can go pick it up tomorrow from the distributor.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Looks like one I have here sitting on my shelf. Maybe one day I will buy a new nut for the clutch and then sell the entire thing. make a mental note to yourself to NOT use a big wrench on that part again.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
There is nothing new about what happened. One guy I know, broke one nut using Channel-lock pliers, ordered a new nut and promptly broke that one while using the same pair of Channel-locks. He then ordered in two more nuts but changed to a different tool to tighten the nut with. And no... it was not me. :lol:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Aside from using the wrong tool on this nut, if you break it you're likely putting too much torque on it. You need to loosen the fan nut a little more and it will turn easily.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
mikebramel said:
Thanks for the tip. I did however have the lock nut, washers and fan removed. I think it was the shock when the wrench slipped.
I can't understand why you would even need to use a wrench if the fan was not installed unless the threads were damaged.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
You might want to remove the entire clutch from the engine flywheel and really service the entire clutch. If you can get your hands on a die, you could chase those threads and clean them up. High ridges could be removed from the shaft as long as you don't reduce the proper diameter any. Bearings, shims, spring washers and clutch lining can be checked as well as making sure everything goes back together in the correct order. So many clutches get screwed up by former owners, it isn't even funny.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
LOL!!!!!

:sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

Im already ahead of you!

because

I did get it working. In the heat of excitement I dropped the torque wrench and just did the ratchet. Well, as you can see I dont know what 45lbft off hand is.

I did buy a new clutch liner from Brian. Theres a good amount of material left, close to what I see on the new disc but I guess I will see under load. The bearings are nice. But I will take your advice and check it against the manual that I downloaded from the tech section. Thank you!

.............Thank goodness Central Power Distributors is 5 minutes away

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
The inside nut is made out of material that is quite a bit harder than the outside nut. Over time I have seen the inside nut almost cut (from vibration I guess) through the outside nut. If you look where the nuts contact each other you will probably see a lot of wear which can contribute to this problem. It is always advisable to check the bottom of the inside hex of the outer nut for wear and replace if needed. Gregg

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
When I took it apart I found the adjusting nut was stripped out. So when I was tightening the 3/4" nut on the front I must have stripped this one and within the next turn broke the clutch cam. Looks like its about $15 and I can try the mower out and get the Meg Mo

.......Education isnt cheap LOL

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.