Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a PK444. I'll get some pictures when I get it unloaded. I don't want to part this out so I hope that someone is interested. It is not in great shape. I don't believe that the engine is original because it has a starter. It has the add on hyd. lift and hyd PTO (the one that bolts on the starter mount). I'll throw in a shaft drive snowblower and correct blade. It has a 195 type front PTO which was a surprise. Gregg

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
I think that it was because the 14 hp engine was new to Kohler at that time and perhaps they decided to build them that way upon introduction. But all the other models with the 10 and 12 hp engines were using start/gen and coil/point/condenser ignition. Case had to make a special wiring harness for the 444 and have a special ignition switch to ground out the electronic ignition. Standardization brings cost savings and higher profits. This went on for two years but just with the 444's.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
If it has a regular coil but also has the alternator and starter motor, then it does have points and it has been converted. The solid state ignition was a good idea but the prices for the parts was very high.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Hydriv said:
If it has a regular coil but also has the alternator and starter motor, then it does have points and it has been converted. The solid state ignition was a good idea but the prices for the parts was very high.
so if i have just a starter and traditional coil and its a 69 pk its electronic with no points? I have had no issues with it firing so i have not looked for the points. I seen a pick-up coil on ebay awhile back and it was off a 69 pk.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Mr onetwo said:
Sounds just like my 444.....does it have the PK decals or the later "incorrect" decals? :mrgreen:
The later decals are only "incorrect" on the "true" PKs. The tractors built after SN 9641001 are supposed to have the later decals. These tractors look nearly identical to the PK, but there are subtle differences, most notably the seat hinge brackets are much larger, requiring a slightly different seat pan and seat pedestal, but at first glance they appear the same. I assume that these later tractors are 1970 models, but I'm not positive whether Case implemented these changes mid-year in 1969 or for the new, 1970 model year. Maybe Jim Daenzer would know for sure.
John

·
Registered
4,257 Posts
Where have all these PK 444's came from??? Before I bought mine I saw and heard of none... Now they are all coming out of the woodwork, I have not even taken delivery of mine yet...It is due here May 7th

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
dbeiter said:
Where have all these PK 444's came from??? Before I bought mine I saw and heard of none... Now they are all coming out of the woodwork, I have not even taken delivery of mine yet...It is due here May 7th
You are not alone, Dave.

Take comfort in that. :sidelaugh:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.