Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Use the older Onan or use the newer Onan?

• Use Older style Original Onan.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Don't use an engine, put on pedals and be "green".

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a newer Onan (16hp) that has the newer carb and an oil filter and I have the original Onan (B43M) from my 226.
What engine would be better suited to build up for higher performance.
My personal choice is the newer one. I think the carberator is more capable and I like the Oil Filter.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
Mjoe7 said:
I have a newer Onan (16hp) that has the newer carb and an oil filter and I have the original Onan (B43M) from my 226.
My personal choice is the newer one. I think the carberator is more capable and I like the Oil Filter.
Hey Mjoe

:canada: :drinkbuddies: We both know I don't know shit about an onan but I always have an opinion. :trink:

I didn't see an option to vote for that I agreed with but if my two buddies show up with an opinion I'll vote with one them.

You know who they are and either one will have a view that you can take to the bank. :trink:

Call Boomer, Call Grummy or Call me and one of us will give you the low down. :trink:

I would think that the oil filter is a non-issue as we change the oil so often that the filter has little issue. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: If Boomer or Grummy has a different view then I will change mine. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

You have to remember that when Grummy wanted a stove for his 448 he bought an engine from Boomer.

If the Lady shows up sooner with a view remember that her view is just an opinion. :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh:

I would think your best bet if you want more out of your 226 that Boomer would be my first choice and Grummy could fill you in on his personal experience :trink:

I read several sites and you are on most of them and I have never came across another Onan man that has ever convinced me that Boomer misleads any one..

So you can take the results of the poll and make your decision or you can do the Smart thing and get Boomers View and add a little more oomph to your already Beastly 226.

Let us know what you decide

:drinkbuddies: :canada: :trink: :canada: :drinkbuddies:

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Mjoe7 said:
I think Boomer will tell you that the B43M is a stronger engine than the Performas but that begs the question, what is your objective? It has been discussed many times that putting a more powerful engine in any of these tractors will have no impact on performance except if you have a big attachment running off the front PTO such as a big deck or a snowblower. Since you'll probably never get another chance to use your snowblower unless you move a couple hundred miles further north you can save your money.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,509 Posts
mjoe
my vote is the BM ( but 48 )
the later 226 came with the filter, and the nikki carb.
i WILL not stock a rebuilt BM engine that doesn't have the filter capability.
the thing i do not like about the P small block is the 9/32 valves
compared to the 11/32 on the BM series
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy)

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
boomers_influence said:
mjoe
my vote is the BM ( but 48 )
the later 226 came with the filter, and the nikki carb.
i WILL not stock a rebuilt BM engine that doesn't have the filter capability.
the thing i do not like about the P small block is the 9/32 valves
compared to the 11/32 on the BM series
thank you. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy)
Boomer I understand there is only limited benefit to increasing the horsepower on a hydraulic drive system
so with that said... what can be done to get say... 20 to 24 horsepower out of the 16hp Onan I currently have on my 226? It is a 1986 Onan I think, with the Nikki Carb. and oil filter.

My ideas were to take some weight out of the flywheel by cutting out some cooling fins and having it rebalanced, have the whole engine balanced, shave the heads and block for a little more compression, set the redline at 4100 rpm instead of 3600 rpm, bore it out for bigger pistons and a hotter ignition system.
That's about all that comes to mind. What are some other tricks? Perhaps some valve work of some kind?

I need this to be dependable, so I don't want to go to crazy with it.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
oleblu72 said:
Turbocharged and then juice it up with a shot of NOS. You'll have big everything after you hit the NOS once. :sidelaugh: :thumbsup:

Mark
Hmmmm....I do have a hole in the dash from the P.O. that would be a great spot for a NOS button. :sidelaugh:
What do you think? Maybe a 30 horsepower shot would be ok. :wink:

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,509 Posts
mjoe
my thoughts.
B48M .030 bore
camshaft from B43G, B48G, or B48M ( they are the hottest )
nikki carb ( with # 238 stamped on the top of the venturi )
good three angle valve job
angle mill the heads ( 0 bott about .030 top )
polish ports( only to remove the cast flaws )
you want dependable,
So no flywheel cut,no rebalance, no 4100 rpm ( reduced flywheel weight doesn't
make more power )
the 4100 RPM is outside of the cam profile.
usually on a cam grind when you gain on the top end you loose on the bottom end
thank you. boomer ( the former Pro/ Stock G.T. puller )

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
boomers_influence said:
mjoe
my thoughts.
thank you. boomer ( the former Pro/ Stock G.T. puller )
Thank you Boomer for that information. I may just run with it. :thumbsup:
What kind of power could I expect from this recipe?
I agree on the power curve. I would rather have torque low in the rpm's rather than higher.
Thankfully my machine shop knows Onan engines as well as going beyond stock specs.
Thanks again.
Mike

·
Registered
423 Posts
Mjoe7 said:
oleblu72 said:
Turbocharged and then juice it up with a shot of NOS. You'll have big everything after you hit the NOS once. :sidelaugh: :thumbsup:

Mark
Hmmmm....I do have a hole in the dash from the P.O. that would be a great spot for a NOS button. :sidelaugh:
What do you think? Maybe a 30 horsepower shot would be ok. :wink:
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Hey, I can only advise on the changes necessary to do a really decent install of a B48G in place of an M. It does take a bit of patience to do it right. I have no clue what differences would jump out with a 24Hp.

All that said, sure.... 20 hp has been plenty for belt HP THIS year, but I wouldn't kick 30hp out of my cab for eating cookies. Too bad the world of power does not present itself a really nice off the shelf 30 hp air cooled opposed that fits like the Onan....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.