Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for Hydriv, Boomer, Brian and anyone else that has seen engine oil/lubrication problems.

I use my '74 446 with a transplanted B48 engine as my dirt working tractor. It gets quite a bit of use doing light maintenance on my supercross track. The soil here is very soft and using a D-3 size dozer or even a tracked or wheeled skid steer is out of the question. Unless the ground thoroughly soaked and raining at the time of construction the heavy equipment destroys more than it builds.

The 446 with a box scraper and H-54 blade works great for filling in ruts and moving soil back to where it was before motorcycle tires displaced it (roost). Not heavy reshaping here, just moving the soil back in place.

So, when I am smoothing jump faces or pulling a harrow/drag through the whoops, do I have to worry about engine oil lubrication problems?

Thanks,

Joey

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
My opinion.

The oil pans selected for these Case spec'd engines is a tad on the shallow side but if your tractor can climb the face of the ramps, then you should not be able to starve the engine for oil providing you keep it filled to the line or a squeak above. If you have long, banked berms on the approach to corners and also leading out of them, then if the tractor doesn't try to slide down them while you are negotiating that turn, oil starvation should not be an issue.

Of course, the main key here is to be diligent on the issue of oil level at all times.

Let's see what the other guys think. I'm just a dumb blonde.

·
Onan Master, new and used parts.
1,509 Posts
joey
not to worry.
your onan has a pressure fed oil system with an oil pump
ALL onans do use oil,
so make sure you check the level before each operation.
good luck. boomer ( the used onan engine parts guy )

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers Hydriv and Boomer.

I appreciate them.

I do keep the oil level to the full mark. Checked before every engine start up and periodically during prolonged use.
That routine was drilled into my head on my first equipment operators job years ago.

Joey

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.