Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Cost to powder coat a disassembled 446 by a shop

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just curious as to what everyone thinks a reasonable cost would be to have a shop powdercoat one of our tractors. Lets say a disassembled 446 with no major problems with the sheet metal besides the common heat scarred hood. Services include sandblasting, light bodywork and powder coating to the factory color.

I am only asking because I have a David Bradley walk behind there now and I really like the guys price/work and he quoted me a price on doing a 446 and I was pretty impressed. I just wanna see if I'm too far off.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Are you having everything done: frame axles, hydraulic components along with the sheet metal parts?

I was checking locally about getting some small stuff powder coated, but was not sure how to ensure I would get the right Power Red color. What did you come up with?

Paul

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
I recently looked into the costs of buying the power red powder coat that Eastman currently uses and while it is available to consumers, they sell it only in 50 lb packages and at almost $8.00 a pound, you're looking at almost $400 just for the powder alone. It might be more cost effective if you and another Case/Ingersoll owner go into it together since I don't think you'd use all 50 lbs on your 446 and the powder has a shelf life. I posted a thread a while ago that contains the specific manufacturer's name and color code for power red. I'll dig around for it...

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
tss8690 said:
they sell it only in 50 lb packages and at almost $8.00 a pound, you're looking at almost $400 just for the powder alone.
Wow, you would think you could get it in smaller quantities than that. My painter uses Orbit powder I think. He gave me a website where you can get spray bomb cans to match most of their powder coats.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The guy quoted me $300 for the whole deal from blasting to clear coating. He showed me some of his work and was really impressed. There was a 80's wheel horse that looked factory new and the sheet metal for an 4-digit Oliver there too and the finish looked great.

Because he bakes the powder coat, the oil will have to be drained from the rear end. As he explained it to me it depends on the condition of the seals as to whether or not they will hold up to the baking. It is only to about 350 degrees so most do and there isn't an issue. He told me that he will often bake stuff for a short period after blasting if he thinks there might be seepage. That way he can leech it out and clean up the oil/grease before powder coating.

Right now he has my David Bradley walk behind. He already did the frame and I dropped off the rest this morning. Total cost for that project is $150. I'm having him do the disc for $75, he quoted me less but I felt like i was robbing him.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A very good deal and I think I might make that an early spring project next year if I am not as busy as I am this year. Having just the one tractor poses some limitations. I really hate to be without one for long considering I use it year round.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've already got him working on a david bradley for me. I got the frame back and it looks sweet. Hopefully I get the rest back next week so I can get it reassemble and back to Ohio for the unveiling for my family at the end of next month. It used to be my grandfathers and he used it every season.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
I think that powder coating parts on a. Case,GT is a waste of money.

my 224-79 looks decent, powder coating will not give you the looks of an original unit.

Irongard power red is the choice of mine :thumbsup:
:drinkbuddies: :canada:

·
Registered
241 Posts
Stewart said:
I think that powder coating parts on a. Case,GT is a waste of money.

my 224-79 looks decent, powder coating will not give you the looks of an original unit.

Irongard power red is the choice of mine :thumbsup:
:drinkbuddies: :canada:
I think so too.... it is more for custom work...etc

·
Registered
935 Posts
Heatseeker1,

Considering the quality and great prices your guy offers perhaps he would be interested in more business from other C/I owners in Indiana. I don't have a need for services like his now but perhaps in the future his contact information would be handy to have.

JN

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.