Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Bob,
Your suggestion is welcome but........................it has been mentioned before. :sidelaugh:

That paint and color is definitely an inexpensive way for owners to maintain attachments such as blades and blowers that need to be touched up when the winter season comes to a close. There has been considerable argument about how close it is but to me, that isn't all that relevant. For the longest time, these tractors were spray painted with Power Red. For all I know, the plant might have gone to electrostatic paint systems for awhile before installing powder coating equipment. Case did not buy paint from a single source either and no one will convince me that Pratt and Lambert will formulate Power Red with the same pigments and chemicals that Dupont or R&M would. In other words, all of those factors will have a minor affect on the final color.

Add to that................all paints fade with exposure to UV rays. Even paint manufacturers cannot guarantee that the batch of paint made in August will be identical to the batch made in January. Brad has just finished shooting brand new paint on this deck. How close the Chevy Orange from the can of Rustoleum is to what his Power Red turned out to be will be interesting but no one should draw any major conclusions from it. It is far wiser to repaint that plow blade with the Rustoleum NOW before it begins to rust and pit the steel. After all, much of that Rustoleum will end up being worn off next winter and you will have to apply a fresh coat of paint once again.

In Canada, Rustoleum is known as TremClad. Same company, different name.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'd love to see a write-up on exactly how that works. I have a cheap spray-gun, as well as an airless sprayer. I've painted half a dozen houses in my day.

But I don't know what I'm doing with automotive type finishes. "Hardener" rings a bell, but what is it, where do I get it, how much do I add, why is it important, etc. Do I prime first? What kind of primer? Etc. Etc.

I'm sure I could Google it and find a bunch about cars/hotrods, and I've watched enough Discovery Channel to have some idea of how that arena works. But is there anything out there regarding tractors/implements? Sunlight, rust and wear are different design goals than what cars generally face.

And getting a good-looking coat on a bolt head/hydraulic valve that's going to stand up to grease is a lot different from getting the perfect glossy hood or fender. Speaking of which, do I even want a gloss finish? Am I after more of a semi-gloss?

In the face of all that uncertainty, rather than be paralyzed by all the unknowns and choices, I tend to reach for what's immediately available, if it's "good enough". Hence the Rustoleum spray paint.

But I'd love to really learn how to do it right.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Bob, don`t feel bad, I painted my deck with Valspar "Allis Chalmers Orange" from Tractor Supply and it was plenty "good enough for who it`s for" Looked fine from my house :sidelaugh: Valspar offers a hardening agent for THEIR products. I advise always using proven compatible components from the same product line . In other words, no matter what brand you pick, stick with their recommendations for all the ancillary "stuff". JMO

·
Registered
877 Posts
Your nearest Case IH dealer either has the paint you need in stock or can get it quickly. They should be able to advise you as to all that's needed to do the paint job correctly. I just bought a rattle can to do some small parts and it was almost $10 a can. Bought in quart size along with the needed stuff will probably be a little cheaper overall.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Billygoat said:
Your nearest Case IH dealer either has the paint you need in stock or can get it quickly. They should be able to advise you as to all that's needed to do the paint job correctly. I just bought a rattle can to do some small parts and it was almost $10 a can. Bought in quart size along with the needed stuff will probably be a little cheaper overall.
Dont always think that your local C/I dealer has the best prices on parts. I went by my local dealer (15 min away) to get a couple rattle cans of Power Red and he brought out these old rusty can from the storage container and told me they were almost $40 EACH. :shock: :shock: . I laughed and told him what they go for online and he said " well buy it online then". So, shop around for your needs

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
OK..... here I go again, running off at the mouth. :sidelaugh:

Some of the Case/IH dealers out there do not stock these paint colours, meaning Desert Sunset and Power Red. Shocking, isn't it? And they won't bring them in for you either unless you agree to buy whatever comes in the carton. That might mean 2 gallons or 4 gallons. It most likely means 4 quarts in a case and 12 rattle cans in a case.

Other than that, not too many Case/IH dealers are still Ingersoll dealers because for quite some time Case has been selling a line of sub-Cut and CUT's with their own name on them. They are a re-branded offshore product but what else is new? Cub and Deere do the same thing with some of their stuff.

·
Registered
877 Posts
That guy must have had some numbers crossed. $40 a can, he should have been smart enough to question that him self. But there again rusty cans-VINTAGE!!! :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: :sidelaugh: The local dealer here isn't an Ingersoll dealer, but stocks Power Red and Desert Sunset. It's Hoober's btw.

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
Just bought a few spray cans and a quart of Power Red at Hoober in DE and I think that bill came to be around $40. They had plenty of Power Red and Power White on the shelves (along with thinners and primers). I'm pretty sure Hoober Case/IH has stores in PA as well - for what it's worth.

Hope the Rustoleum works out for you!

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'm going to try the Rustoleum for my auger and under-deck since that's an annual thing. I'll stick with the Case paint for what shows.

I tried the Ace hardware brand of A-C orange, and it was terrible. The match was OK but the paint was so thin that after two coats I could still see through it. Never again.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
A can from my local Case dealer was justs over $10. A can of Chevy Orange at Autozone or Advanced Auto was $6.58. Used the chevy orange on my deck and it sure looks the same to me and I'll use it on my deck and mule drive only due to the fact its easier to get than the stuff from the dealer.

But I dont think the Chevy Orange route is actually any cheaper cause it didnt cover nearly as welll and does seem very 'thin' in comparison - or- at least the distribution out of the nozzle is a lot wider and pretty much consistent. I'd be willing to bet it would take 3 cans of chevy orange per 2 cans of Case paint to do the same job...er to cover the same amount of area.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Rockdog said:
But I dont think the Chevy Orange route is actually any cheaper cause it didnt cover nearly as welll and does seem very 'thin' in comparison - or- at least the distribution out of the nozzle is a lot wider and pretty much consistent. I'd be willing to bet it would take 3 cans of chevy orange per 2 cans of Case paint to do the same job...er to cover the same amount of area.
Same thing I noticed with the Ace brand paint, except it is more like 3:1 not 3:2. The Case paint covers better than any other brand I've ever used, it seems like they didn't skimp on the pigment.
What Chevy Orange brand did you use, was it the Rustoleum or something else?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
It was Rustoleum. One can wouldnt do it. Went back few days later to buy another can. I then realized there was Chevy Orange and Chevy Red-Orange but which one did I buy the first time? Lucked out and used Chevy Orange both times. I will say the Rustoleum nozzle is a LOT more comfortable on the finger tips though. My fingertip is still a little numb after using the case paint on my rear tin and chassis and that was three weeks ago!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.