Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just took out my 14 hp Kohler out of my case 444 to rebuild and was hoping to pressure wash everything. It has never been cleaned I am sure (nasty). I am going to replace all the hoses since some of them have been leaking for years anyway. Are there any vital areas I should watch for while pressure washing? Thanks

Brad

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
In my opinion, the areas of concern would be the axle shaft seals, the brake shaft seal, the Hi/Lo shifter rod seal and the top cover gasket.

The regulator, ignition switch, ammeter, charge light and the wiring. I don't know if you are using cold water or hot water nor do I know how much pressure your washer can generate nor if it comes with a variety of nozzles that allow you to change the spray patterns. High pressure water can blow decals right off painted steel or at least, damage them. Paint that is not properly adhered to the surface below can also be blown off. Removing the bulk of the dirt/grease manually and then soaking the remainder in a commercial grease remover should allow you to remove the balance at a much lower pressure with a wider pattern of spray.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
maybe I can scrape off as much gunk as possible then use kerosene and a brush with a little cleaning. I think my pressure washer is 1800 psi but I can widen out the nozzle so it will not blow out any seal or gaskets. I wanted to make sure I didn't get any water in my hydraulics. I will be using cold water.
Brad

·
Administrator
3,513 Posts
You might also want to try some Dawn dishwashing detergent slightly thinned with water in a spray bottle. Apply the Dawn and let sit overnight. Most of the big globs should come off with a garden hose.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
The Thumb Hillbilly said:
Try using oven cleaner. It works on your grease and grim.
:headscratcher: I would not use oven cleaner as i believe it will damage aluminum parts :trink:

I recommend scrape the heavy, soak for a day with degreaser and rinse with a garden hose hooked up to hot water.
:drinkbuddies: :canada:

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys...I need to get on it this week. I will stay away from any vital areas but i believe it will be a little more hands on than I was hoping but I would rather be safe than sorry.

Brad

·
Registered
273 Posts
FYI: I pressure washed my K301 and ended up getting rust in/under the belleville washers in my PTO clutch, which froze the whole thing up. Naturally the left-hand-thread bolt broke when I disassembled it. It was a real pain.

Sounds like that won't affect you, but any time you're pressure washing, you might want to keep that in mind: If you get it wet, try to dry it or lube up the springs area when you're done.

Bob

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.