Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got to try my snowcaster for the first time last night, and was pleased that it was performing quite well....all the way up until I tried to blow a snowdrift that was about 16 inches high. The clutch just slipped and the auger stopped. I did install new lining a few weeks ago, I have it adjusted to where the disc just barely is near plate. .002 I guess. I was considering changing the Belleville washers...I regret not doing so. Did anyone here try heavier washers from McMaster? If so, which did you get? Just Curious.
Thanks,
Andy

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I adjusted mine to spec last year, it had a new lining also. Lasted about 1/2 the season before it did the same thing. I readjusted it following some advice given here - which was to adjust tight then back it off it until it just stops grabbing. Been great ever since, and went through some really wet heavy stuff - municipal plow leavings at the end of the driveway - yesterday that was deeper than the top of the 'caster with no problem.

Theory: it has something to do with brand new linings wearing really quick at first, can anyone corroborate this?

·
Registered
633 Posts
I can't advise you on the washers, but before you start throwing parts at it, try readjusting the clutch. For whatever reason, the clutch adjustment doesn't "take" or goes out of adjustment quickly sometimes. The tip that helped me get my clutch dialed in was Mad Mackie's suggestion to keep the flywheel from turning while making clutch adjustments. Also, as Bart recently pointed out in another thread:
Bart said:
A common problem is not realizing that you MUST have all the parts assembled before attempting to adjust the clutch clearance. The fan nut should be snugged down tightly enough to hold all the parts in place but not so tight that you can't turn the large hex nut without a wrench. It may be necessary to snug up the fan nut a bit as you tighten the hex nut to maintain pressure on the hex nut.
Good luck, hope you get it sorted out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.