Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am in the process of adding a rear PTO to a 646. I contacted Brian to purchase the OEM steel hydraulic lines and it seems that only one is still available. The line that goes from the pump to the PTO is the one that is no longer available.

Should I go with hose, or try to have a new steel line bent/fabricated? (I do have a BOTH of these lines on another tractor that could be used as a template.) I really like the idea of the OEM lines for fit and finish, but I don't know how successful a reproduction would be.

Any thoughts and input is appreciated.

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Perhaps price might dictate what you do.

I would speak with the local hydraulic shops to see which one of them have the machinery capable of bending hydraulic pipe. Having a template line is a huge bonus that will save them time and you money. Take them a copy of the drawing. See if you can get a rough measurement of the total length before you go to the trouble to remove it. Ask them for a price quote to duplicate that line. Then ask them for a price quote to make a hose with the appropriate fittings. At that point, you can decide whether the OEM line is worth the extra expense.

I agree that steel lines make for a much neater installation but performance-wise a hose will do nicely. The main issue with hoses is to route them and secure them so they won't get damaged by being rubbed, pinched or cut. There are various types of hose guards that can be used in critical spots to prevent such damage. The success of a reproduction line would be equal to the skill of the person making the bends. He must get all the bends very close for the line to be able to reach both fittings at the correct angle so that the fittings will thread on. Minor tweaking of those bends is possible but that tweaking should be minimal. I count 8 bends in the supply line and seven in the other line. To me, those would be pretty complicated lines to duplicate but perhaps not a big deal for someone who does this work all the time. He has to get it right the first time or the cost of pipe is going to become an issue.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.