Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an ingersoll 4020. About a week ago I was mowing when the PTO stopped. It was in the low 90’s so, while frustrated I was happy to quit till I figured it out. After getting into the shade I raised the deck Expecting to find a branch caught up or something But did not. Blades all spun freely. So, it being hot I parked it. A couple days later I went into the garage and looked around. Couldnt see any loose wires or whatever… turned it on and it was working. Figured I’d get to it later. When I next mowed I had the same thing, hot day and 30 mins or so into mowing it stopped. Again nothing caught up. Again a few days later I tried and it was working. that day it was cool, and I mowed for an hour without issue. Any thoughts? Heat related sounds strange. I have had it for many years with many hot days mowing so…?

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,294 Posts
Intermittent shut offs when hot can occur for a number of reasons.

One common, simple maintenance action on a tractor this old is to replace the PTO switch. With age the contacts and get oxidized, building up heat during usage. Super simple first step to replace and good maintenance ... then move on to more complicated things if necessary.

Brian

1 - 2 of 2 Posts