Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello gentlemen,

I have an Ingersoll J32 splitter (3 Point attached) and just aquired a Massey branded 242 (trailer style splitter). The splitting direction is determined by the PTO handle on both of these splitters. (There is no valve on the splitter itself.) Other than the way they are attached to the tractor and transported, these splitters are nearly identical.

My questions are pointed at the rear hydraulic PTO when a woodsplitter is added. The J32 manual shows a kit that should be added to the PTO to operate the splitter. What does this kit actually do? I am assuming (poor choice of words) that the kit makes the PTO handle automatically center itself when released. This is how the PTO on the Massey tractor worked when I tried it. Not knowing the purpose of that kit and since I had never seen a PTO do this before, I am not sure if that is correct or if had been messed with.

Any information is appreciated.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I use a J32 as well, and my manual shows the purpose of the kit to be as you assume-auto centering of the splitter handle, so you'd have to keep your hand on the lever-therefore making it more difficult for a solo operator to get in trouble.

I don't have or need the kit, but I can see how it could be a useful feature.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
xfolkboat said:
I use a J32 as well, and my manual shows the purpose of the kit to be as you assume-auto centering of the splitter handle, so you'd have to keep your hand on the lever-therefore making it more difficult for a solo operator to get in trouble.

I don't have or need the kit, but I can see how it could be a useful feature.
Thanks for clearing that up for me. The PTO lever was automatically returned to center when released on the Massey-Ingersoll that the splitter came from. I don't have this kit for my 448 and didn't think I would need it either. This is good to know because I am in the process of making a deal for the Massey tractor too. Here is a look at the splitter.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.