Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner

Pulling steering wheel, how I did it and it was not not too

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Bushman 
#1 ·
I had to replace a steering bushing on my 446 and had read all I could about previous attempts. Sounds like it was a bitch, I went to AutoZone and bought a 3.5" gear puller for $5.95 and lucked out when I found my tractor had the removeable cap on the steering wheel. I drilled out the filled cap on my steering wheel with the biggest bit in my $10.00 titanium bit box-3/4" maybe. Put the gear puller on the wheel and a apropriate sized hose clamp under the tangs or arms of the puller which kept the arms from separating from the underside of the wheel hub. I filled the drilled void with 80/90 gear oil and gave it couple hours. Started knocking the shit out of it with a real beater and started making progress. The rolled pin hole was below the steering hub within minutes. I also had to put a set of long bolts from my defective starter motor to keep the hose clamp from blowing off. I may be an exception of the rule but, my tractor set outside for a while & my head bolts came on a B43M came off easy too. I just hope my luck keeps up. I am only writing here because my powerwashing got me here. Tractor worked good untill I thought it was too dirty to put the snowcaster on it. BUSHMAN

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.