Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Big Jake said:
Has anyone built a pulling tractor out of a Case? :222:
The answer to your question is YES..

The question then becomes......what class do you intend to compete in and what are the rules for that class?

Another question would be..... who is going to pilot the puller and how old is he or she?

·
Registered
650 Posts
But aren't hydrostatic and hydraulic different? :wife:

In my part of the woods I talked to one man who's in a pulling groups that told me they don't permit "hydrostatic" in stock catagory????? which was explained to me as due to difficulty in determining that it was truely stock?!?! I tried to explain mine was not hydrostat but rather hydraulic and when this guy told me "That's the same thing", I knew at this point it was useless to argue but I'm still going to try to get the zebra entered in some stock pulls this summer.

I was also told too that hydrostatic drives are no good for pulling but I must offer that this too comes from Brian Miller's group here in town as it would appear that their unwritten rule is that if it's not a old Cub Cadet or Wheel Horse then it can't pull anything which is reflected on his his webpage. There are some really serious GT pullers in central Missouri and it appears they do not care for Case GT's.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
Rockdog said:
Well, based on the discussions on this forum regarding differential bolts I'd say using one of these for pulling would be a mistake.
I assume that if you were pulling you`d perform the welding mod and eliminate the problem. Also the bolt issue seems to more related to slamming back and forth between forward and reverse. Plowing snow, gravel etc.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Wow I like the rules they have at that pull in the video. No wheelie bars? Are they serious?

Anyways, I built a 224 to pull with last year and honestly got my @$$ kicked. I finally started doing better at the end of the season but it took a lot of work and more money then it would have cost to build a puller out of a cub. In my opinion the biggest problem with the case being a puller is its gear ratio. And the only feasible way I found to lower the gear this is to swap a 400 series hydraulic motor but never got around to trying it. Other problems include the pressure relief spring, spool valve linkage and others I can't remember right now.

It also depends on the classes your pulling in and what weight your trying to pull. At the end of the day a stock cub will beat the snot out of a stock case at the pull. I have seen hydros (not hydraulic drive) win quite a few pulls but I highly doubt it was "stock".

Last but not least most GT pulls have vague rules. Even if they do have "strict" rules most of the competitors cheat in some way or another. I have not been to a GT pull yet that all the tractors were "stock".

If you want pics and advice how I set mine up let me know.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Nutcase,
I am no expert in the world of GT pulling, though I would consider my self very knowledgeable about truck and vintage tractor pulling as started when I was 13. People keep referring to Brian Millers site like he's the god of GT pulls (not saying you did but others have). I have looked at his site before and was not to impressed. I can also tell you hydrostatics, if properly set up, can dominate in the pulls. Where I pull there is a John Deere 318 hydro that pulls in the 20hp class and just destroys the competition. There is also a old Bolens ( don't know the model) that typically finishes in the top 5. Now while I'm not trying to claim these are bone stock machines they are not all out modded pullers either. Like I said before most GT pulls have very vague rules. Our rules say the motors have to be stock but say nothing about the rest of the drivetrain with the exception of welded diffs, that's a no no. So the cub guys run different pinions and billet clutches in their tractors. The case tractors are hydraulic drive, not hydrostatic (as I am sure you know) and I believe they can be made into a great pulling tractor with the time and money. I really believe one of the main problems with trying to use a Case as a puller is their gear ratio. Before I stopped pulling mine last season my biggest problem was the engine stalling. It felt as if though I was trying to pull the sled with a cub in 4th gear. I really wanted to try a 400 series motor but money got a little tight for projects and I never got around to it. I will have to admit though, the best bang for the buck would be found in a old cub cadet, but at the same time whats the fun in doing something everyone else does?

ByCo, I know nothing about the 210s but it sounds like they would defiantly be worth a shot. As for me I am building a cub 124 but am going to continue to experiment with my 224

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.