Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
I have a hitch attached to bottom of transmission/axle housing (I think) and I have a sleeve hitch for the tiller.
How much can I pull or weight put on that small hitch?

How much weight can I pull, put on the sleeve hitch?

I hear of guys putting a weight box on the back 50 pounds and upwards I believe, so just wondering if I do, it seems like I should use the sleeve hitch?

but my main questions revolves around pulling a utility trailer to haul wood out of the woods and how best/safely to do that. thanks, cb

Attachments

·
Registered
93 Posts
I had a sleeve hitch before installing a 3 point on my 448. The problem I had pulling trailers is the hitch isn’t fixed to the lift link so if the weight shifts it can pick up the hitch. Hard to explain. Grab the back of the sleeve hitch and pull up. You’ll see the slop.

One time I backed my tractor with yard cart off my 6x12, the back of the yard trailer tipped backand I nearly lost the tractor sideways. I would either tow with the axle mounted hitch or 3 point.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a sleeve hitch before installing a 3 point on my 448. The problem I had pulling trailers is the hitch isn’t fixed to the lift link so if the weight shifts it can pick up the hitch. Hard to explain. Grab the back of the sleeve hitch and pull up. You’ll see the slop.

One time I backed my tractor with yard cart off my 6x12, the back of the yard trailer tipped backand I nearly lost the tractor sideways. I would either tow with the axle mounted hitch or 3 point.
Interesting feedback. Thank you. I use this almost exclusively now for tilling so my lit link is always attached. But I know about the slop when not attached.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I tow with my sleeve hitch on my 224. I have a 5x10 trailer with 2x floor boards and a diamond plate tool box. Not a particularly light weight trailer. I have even moved it with 2,000 lbs of bricks on it. No problem. The key, as with any hitch on any vehicle, is tongue weight. I can stand on my sleeve hitch, no problem, so it has been load tested to 225 lbs. :)

The beauty of a ball on the sleeve hitch is that you can back up to your trailer, lower the ball, lift the trailer, flip the ball lock on the trailer and away you go. I will say that care should be taken when backing up. You want the sleeve hitch pointed level or down so that the trailer does not force the ball up. Secondly, you want the ball adapter for the sleeve hitch to be made on a C shape not an L when using straight pins to hold it on to the sleeve hitch. With an L straight pins can pull out especially when going up a hill. Like:

Helmet Automotive tire Plant Tire Motor vehicle

With a C the bottom leg prevents the assembly from lifting up. (yes, I documented my stupidity.:LOL:)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tow with my sleeve hitch on my 224. I have a 5x10 trailer with 2x floor boards and a diamond plate tool box. Not a particularly light weight trailer. I have even moved it with 2,000 lbs of bricks on it. No problem. The key, as with any hitch on any vehicle, is tongue weight. I can stand on my sleeve hitch, no problem, so it has been load tested to 225 lbs. :)

The beauty of a ball on the sleeve hitch is that you can back up to your trailer, lower the ball, lift the trailer, flip the ball lock on the trailer and away you go. I will say that care should be taken when backing up. You want the sleeve hitch pointed level or down so that the trailer does not force the ball up. Secondly, you want the ball adapter for the sleeve hitch to be made on a C shape not an L when using straight pins to hold it on to the sleeve hitch. With an L straight pins can pull out especially when going up a hill. Like:

Thanks. I like this idea. I'm not sure I understand the "C" part. I think I see that you are using the same holes for pins that are used to mount the tiller. I was thinking the "C" goes on similar to the tiller with the pins going from top all the way to the bottom and maybe even a clip put underneath. Or does your C go over the top and front and back sides of the outermost cross bar of the hitch? When the adaptor is mounted, is the ball sticking out beyond the last bar of the sleeve hitch? Thank you again.

View attachment 123438

With a C the bottom leg prevents the assembly from lifting up. (yes, I documented my stupidity.:LOL:)

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm not sure I understand the C part...
Looking at my picture you see the L angle with the pin through it that goes on top of the sleeve hitch. I welded another L angle across the bottom to create a "C" so that the pin goes through the C on top of of the sleeve hitch and at the bottom. The bottom part of the C prevents the hitch attachment from lifting up an pulling the pin out. I suppose I could have used a cotter pin through the hitch pin, but those bend and get lost.

The two Ls welded together look similar to a C channel:

...or what Gordy said. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You guys are great!. Thanks for the extra time to clarify. I knew I should have learned welding years ago.

·
Registered
117 Posts
You guys are great!. Thanks for the extra time to clarify. I knew I should have learned welding years ago.
Buy a MIG welder, watch a few YouTube videos and with some practice you will be able to weld "good enough" even if they are ugly, like mine. :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Buy a MIG welder, watch a few YouTube videos and with some practice you will be able to weld "good enough" even if they are ugly, like mine. :)
That's what I'm thinking now. :):).Someone in the family ight as well know how.

·
Registered
1993 Ingersoll 4118
231 Posts
Wheel Tire Snow Vehicle Automotive tire

I pull this with my 4118 on the rear hitch. It's close to a full chord of oak.
It's more about how much traction you can get. I would probably get stuck in the woods with that load.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
View attachment 123449

I pull this with my 4118 on the rear hitch. It's close to a full chord of oak.
It's more about how much traction you can get. I would probably get stuck in the woods with that load.
Thanks. I appreciate the load info. I probably would do about half that amount. The trailer I want to use is 4x8. I have chains that I might put on and I am looking for rear wheel weights.
If not too much trouble, could you show how you have the trailer hooked up to the tractor. thanks again, cb

·
Registered
1993 Ingersoll 4118
231 Posts
Thanks. I appreciate the load info. I probably would do about half that amount. The trailer I want to use is 4x8. I have chains that I might put on and I am looking for rear wheel weights.
If not too much trouble, could you show how you have the trailer hooked up to the tractor. thanks again, cb
The bed in that trailer is 4.5' x 8'
It's hooked to this hitch on an 1 7/8" ball.
Wheel Motor vehicle Vehicle Automotive tire Tread

Or this if the 3pt. Is on

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Tread Synthetic rubber

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the extra pics. The hitch looks similar to mine but yours is mounted I think to the three point hitch frame which is no doubt better/stronger than mine. Maybe I need another tractor with a 3-point hitch. :) Since I have a ball that fits on my hitch, I might try it with a light load and see how it goes - even with the sleeve hitch on. But probably long term, I'll go the way suggested by a66coup.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Thanks for the extra pics. The hitch looks similar to mine but yours is mounted I think to the three point hitch frame which is no doubt better/stronger than mine. Maybe I need another tractor with a 3-point hitch. :) Since I have a ball that fits on my hitch, I might try it with a light load and see how it goes - even with the sleeve hitch on. But probably long term, I'll go the way suggested by a66coup.
The bolts on your L shaped hitch are the same as in the picture of the 3 PT and are the bottom mounting bolts for the 3 PT.

My Ball / hitch pin adapter for the sleeve hitch.
Plant Wood Grass Brick Art

2/3 cu yd of dirt, online says 1,466 pounds pulled behind the 3012 with L hitch. Sounds impressive but about 50 pounds tongue weight and well greased wheel bearings for low rolling resistance ;-)
Tire Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Negative tongue weight I am sure ;-)
Tire Wheel Vehicle Riding mower Automotive tire

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you Gordy. your ball/hitch picture is really helpful - sort of what I was envisioning from a66coup289's pictures. your picture too of the trailer is similar to what I've been using - but the trailer just has the hole for a pin, not for a ball receiver. It is too many trips back and forth. Yes, 50-75 pounds tongue weight is also about what I can lift with the big trailer full of firewood that I just drive into place and then pick up and support so I can drive the tractor away. Pictures are great. thanks for sharing. I'm sure all these comments will help others too. As I have some inclines in the woods, I'm also exploring front ballast options that I can make with another mule I have - another one of those welding projects this forum has been so helpful with.

·
Registered
1993 Ingersoll 4118
231 Posts
Just to clarify a little, the hitch bracket in the top picture is bolted to the lower rear end holes. The bracket in the top picture is for the Hydra bagger. I don't believe it is providing any extra support to the hitch, it is just bolted through the bagger bracket and holding it on.
The hitch on the HH34 3pt. is part of the 3pt unit.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just to clarify a little, the hitch bracket in the top picture is bolted to the lower rear end holes. The bracket in the top picture is for the Hydra bagger. I don't believe it is providing any extra support to the hitch, it is just bolted through the bagger bracket and holding it on.
The hitch on the HH34 3pt. is part of the 3pt unit.
okay. thank you. I understand now.

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
Thank you Gordy. your ball/hitch picture is really helpful - sort of what I was envisioning from a66coup289's pictures. your picture too of the trailer is similar to what I've been using - but the trailer just has the hole for a pin, not for a ball receiver. It is too many trips back and forth. Yes, 50-75 pounds tongue weight is also about what I can lift with the big trailer full of firewood that I just drive into place and then pick up and support so I can drive the tractor away. Pictures are great. thanks for sharing. I'm sure all these comments will help others too. As I have some inclines in the woods, I'm also exploring front ballast options that I can make with another mule I have - another one of those welding projects this forum has been so helpful with.
In the dirt load picture you can see the OEM hitch & pin, the ball coupler is mounted to 3 different sizes of square tubes one inside the other. This assembly slides into the OEM cart tongue and a pin to hold it in place. Well greased for easy removal if needed.

120 pounds on the front of the 3012. JD does make good dead weight ;) I built it for 3 weights because that is what I had. $15 each at a local auction :p
Wood Grass Gas Soil Font

$10 flea market find. This is a mower deck mule, it needs a brace on the lower arms (see blue pipe) or they will wiggle and fall off the pins. As you can see there was some previous welding, and the holes were badly worn. Thus the washers and pipe to tighten things up. The weld in the pipe was convenient for lining up the T cuts in the ends of the pipe, I used a chisel to open the cuts, then beat the ends down for a close fit on the pins. If the holes had not been worn, a piece of all thread and 4 nuts would have worked in the end holes as a brace.
Plant Wood Grass Motor vehicle Gas

Pin to hold weights in on rough terrain. Braces to the front are 1/2"x 1" x 1/8" C channel to hold the weights.
Plant Wood Rectangle Grille Outdoor furniture

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks Gordy for taking time again with pictures. They sure do help. I've been looking for a used mule to make something like what you show - seems ideal with those type of weights, which I've also been looking for. Kind of simple and clean looking.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts