Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
I was planning to fabricate a mule by copying the one on the snow caster. But then I found this one for $10,easy decision. A mule from apush blade or caster would not need the brace I added.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Administrator
4,138 Posts
I went even cheaper than Gordy. Same used mule but just welded up a box and melted in wheel weights,finished off with sand, welded a bottom on and done. 142 lbs so i can lift it on and off without too much fuss and total cost probably under 25 bucks.
Tableware Rectangle Table Wood Gas
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Attachments

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I was planning to fabricate a mule by copying the one on the snow caster. But then I found this one for $10,easy decision. A mule from apush blade or caster would not need the brace I added.

Cheers,
Gordy
thanks again. I was going to look before I responded above but wanted to be somewhat prompt in the reply plus not wanting to walk back to a dark barn. I do have a front blade attachment which I've never used as I plow with another tractor. I did not know how the blade was attached to the mule, but if needed to modify, which it seems like I would, I probably don't want to alter it so I can continue using it (future) for the blade - but I hear you, that I should have my eye open for that mule too or instead of the mower one. I did see that it is thicker gauge than the mower mule, 1/4" vs 3/8" and has a little different configuration. Again, I appreciate all the ideas.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
I went even cheaper than Gordy. Same used mule but just welded up a box and melted in wheel weights,finished off with sand, welded a bottom on and done. 142 lbs so i can lift it on and off without too much fuss and total cost probably under 25 bucks. View attachment 123476 View attachment 123474 View attachment 123475
Thanks Dundee222. This was another option I had heard about and was considering - thinking maybe I can make just one ballast that would fit on the front and rear. The pictures are great. I like the Case decal too. I see the handle on top where you lift it on and off - picture above with decal seen - but the two handles on the attached pic, are those used to mount to the mule?

Nice looking tractor. Now I know or will paint my grill black. I got this 448 from my in-laws estate and the grill is blue, which did not seem to be the right color. I'm sort of surprised he did not have some front end ballast as he did a lot of tilling, but his soil was better than what I have and I don't think he did much hauling. He had a Case before this one which went to his son, but then that disappeared before I I was quick enough to ask for it. Oh well. Repairs on this one are keeping me busy - I'm just grateful parts are available and we have such a great forum to communicate with. cfb

·
Premium Member
2,852 Posts
thanks again. I was going to look before I responded above but wanted to be somewhat prompt in the reply plus not wanting to walk back to a dark barn. I do have a front blade attachment which I've never used as I plow with another tractor. I did not know how the blade was attached to the mule, but if needed to modify, which it seems like I would, I probably don't want to alter it so I can continue using it (future) for the blade - but I hear you, that I should have my eye open for that mule too or instead of the mower one. I did see that it is thicker gauge than the mower mule, 1/4" vs 3/8" and has a little different configuration. Again, I appreciate all the ideas.
Other than needing the brace the mower mule is heavy enough and has held up fine. The wife being used to the mirror image controls of the Simplicity,:oops: crash tested this mule by running into a tree ;) You can see in one of my pictures, the channels that the weights rest on are bent.

I agree on the mule for your blade, you don't want to make it unusable for the blade. If for no other reason than the resale value of the blade.

Cheers,
Gordy

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Thanks Gordy. I got my computer running again. I didn't examine thoroughly, but if I disconnected the blade from the mule, maybe I could rig something up with the same hole to provide the weight I need. That will have to wait a bit after Fall chores are done, well, mostly done.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts