Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, We recently picked up 1971 Case 446 repowered w/ 18HP Vanguard and the hydraulic pump is leaking.
I have 4 questions I hope I can get some help with.
1: Is there a seal kit available for the pump, the pump looks like it's brand new and it has a 1/2 inch shaft.
2: Does the Lovejoy coupling have to be separated in order to get the pump out.?
3: If the Lovejoy coupling does have to be separated is it a fairly straight forward job to reinstall it.?
I did find some instructions here on forum for installing Lovejoys and it looked to be a pretty complicated endeavor, but I'm wondering since it has already been done,
would it be just a matter of bolting everything back together.
4: Should I be thinking about adding a firewall?
Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Tractor
Motor vehicle Hood Vehicle Car Gas
Motor vehicle Vehicle Electrical wiring Automotive fuel system Gas

Thank you in advance for any information you can provide it is very much appreciated.

Premium Member
I have not had to do this yet 馃 But I can tell you that working on the lovejoy is NOT going to be as big of a PITA as it is for others, with the pump mount the PO used. The older pump mounts are basically a capped pipe with 2 small holes in the bottom to fit a allen wrench thru, this mount is wide open (y) The big thing on reassembly is to have the gaps between the lovejoys and spider that are shown in your picture.

Cheers,
Gordy

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks' for the reply, Gordy.
I guess what I will do is measure the gap on the inside faces of the lovejoys, along with the gap between the spider and the lovejoy teeth with a feeler gauge. Then, stick a straight edge on the outsides of the lovejoys and measure and record the measurements before I take the pump off and use the recorded measurements for reference when I reinstall the pump. I'm still looking for a seal kit for the hydraulic pump and I'm really not sure of the part number of the pump, so, I guess I will have take the pump off before I can search for a seal kit.

Administrator
With that pump mount you have, it'll be easy for you to setup.

Have a look at this picture,, notice those 3 little knobs, on the spider? There's 3 on each side. Tough to get it wrong, just stick the spider in, bring the couplers together, and those 3 knobs set the proper gap for the spider and couplers. Finger pinch the 2 couplers together and tighten the setscrews up.

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Font

1 - 4 of 4 Posts