Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 446 with PTO, 3pt and a flow control. When I am tilling I pull the flow control all the way back, travel lever in full foreward.
When I lower the tiller the and move the flow control lever slowly foreward. As the tiller spins it pushes the tractor, only way I can slow it down is put the travel lever almost in reverse. What am I doing wrong? Could the flow control valve be bad? I couldn't find any repair manual for it.

Thanks,
Ted

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,291 Posts
The flow control valve will not do much to prevent the tiller from pushing (propelling ...) the tractor.

It is awesome for controlling a creep speed, for tilling a well established plot.

If you are tilling tough soil, try running the tiller in reverse, then using the flow control to set a slow, steady forward speed. You can even reverse the tines to cut better, if you have a big space to break for the first time ...

The holding valve is needed to prevent the push from the tiller ...

As an aside, since it sounds like you don't have a holding valve, then please note that the 'retard' feature for down hill speed control does not work well unless the flow control is in a nearly or full speed setting. The retard works by building backpressure internal to the motor circuit, but the flow control splits the oil flow and dumps it to the reservoir ... so not enough flow to effectively build the back pressure. Just be aware before your first downhill exposure ...

Brian

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.