Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How functional would a tiller be w/o a flow control valve? I would love to have a tiller, but hesitate to purchase one as complete flow control kits w/ hard lines seem somewhat scarce. Anyone use a tiller w/o one? Thanks.

·
Ingersoll Dealer
4,265 Posts
I have never used a flow control while tilling ... till about 1/4 acre twice a year. I'm sure if I put one on, I would love it ... but never found the time or need to install it. Now using a foot control tractor which needs it even less.

I've used tractors with and without holding valves and find them all to be quite capable. Lots of concentration and touchy, but works fine.

If you are turning a fresh space for the first time, consider running the tiller in reverse to undercut the turf, then the tiller can't push the tractor.

Brian

·
Registered
571 Posts
I use my tiller without a flow control valve . If you are breaking new ground, it wants to walk forward. I just use the brake and keep my hand on the direction control in those situations. In ground I have worked before, the tractor handles fine without the extra speed control.

·
Garden Tractor Nerd
359 Posts
BowlBuilder - What model of Colt/Case/Ingersoll are we talking about?

I use my H70 tiller on my '73 222 and although I would like to have a FCV I sure wouldn't let not having one dictate for any reason the idea of NOT having the tiller. If you ever get the opportunity to purchase a tiller for your tractor you should really get it.

Kenneth

·
Registered
247 Posts
I turned all of the tines around on my tiller and run it in reverse only. Does an awesome job and you can control your speed easier. Seems easier to pull new sod from the bottom up rather than trying to push through the top down.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.