Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just acquired a handful of 1" thick steel plates as well as some stainless too, thank you Uncle Sam, and I want to use them as wheel weights for the 446. My tractor has AGs on it and Im just looking to see what you guys are running for weight when you have the snowcaster on. Im only using a 38" caster right now. The steel will be cut in 13 1/2 " diameter disc and they should weigh about 30-35lbs each. Im thinking I could get at least 3 of them on each wheel. I just dont want to go overboard. My fat ass weighs 199lbs.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Re: question for those of you with wheel weights on 16" whee

I have 150 lb weights on the tractor I use most for snowblowing and it works well, even on hills. I have the OEM black weights, approximately 75 lbs each, on another tractor and they work fine on fairly level areas. My theory is more is always better but not always necessary.

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Im on the fence about loading my tires because I use this machine in the summer time to haul shit around the yard and the AGs are going to make a mess out of my lawn if they are filled with fluid. My dumb ass sold a pair of 16" wheels that had nice turf tires on them about 3 months before I bought my tractor.

I used my lawn roller last night to compact 5 yards of stone dust I layed out in my driveway and even the 750lbs of weight it had, it still didnt not take out the lug marks from my tires as I drove over it.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

Sloped asphalt driveway, filled ags, plastic weights and an R84 snowcaster. Excellent in the first snow (much better than turfs+chains+weights so far), but hasn't been put to a real test yet. I'll let you know once the real snow hits.
But I'm guessing 3 on each wheel should be pretty nice! :grin:

[Update]
CASE 220/4 said:
Im on the fence about loading my tires because I use this machine in the summer time to haul shit around the yard and the AGs are going to make a mess out of my lawn if they are filled with fluid. My dumb ass sold a pair of 16" wheels that had nice turf tires on them about 3 months before I bought my tractor.

I used my lawn roller last night to compact 5 yards of stone dust I layed out in my driveway and even the 750lbs of weight it had, it still didnt not take out the lug marks from my tires as I drove over it.
I have a pair of wheels + turfs if you need them. Wheels need blasting and painting. Tires have some small cracks, nothing bad.
I'm guessing the roller isn't taking the marks out because the tires are putting a lot more pressure in a given area than the roller can because it's so spread out.

·
Administrator
3,415 Posts

Last winter the only success that I had was with two link chains on turfs, plastic wheel weights, and added weight on a trailer hitch that is installed on the Hydrabagger mounting bracket. I deflate the tires when I install the chains and when inflated the chains stay tight. I will not fill my rear tires, some of you know why. I'm 225 and that is not my age!!! I plowed and snow blowed my stone driveway very successfully with this combo, but with all the snow, I did run out of room and had to clear a large area of my yard to push the snow into. I had three cargo trailers here and twice I had to remove them from my property in order to do the snow shuffle. I was sorry that I had sold my 448 as I had kept the plow on it and the blower on my 4018 and I had to switch back and forth with only one tractor.
Mad Mackie in CT :mrgreen: :mowlawn:

·
Registered
137 Posts

Filled turf, two link chain, 260 lbs wheel weight, 200 lbs operator, hard cab with hard doors. No problem pushing but on my stone drive and tractor paths I'll dig a hole with the chains if I get to much heavy snow in front of the blade. No problems with the blower.

Al

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts

Put as much weight on as possible.

I have 250+lbs between my 2 rear tires, wheel weights and chains along with my 215lb frame.

I've never really run into traction problems.

·
Registered
2,125 Posts

99flhr said:
Filled turfs w small chains, plastic factory weights, 130 lb operator, pushes the SB just fine on a level concrete drive
My other tractor has filled turfs + 190 lbs whl weights +heavy rear box w auto batt + 100 lb large chains + my 200 lbs. Figure 700lbs, will not push the blade UP the same asphalt drive that my walk behind two stage will climb with similar conditions. Just my experience

·
Registered
128 Posts

I have around 150lbs on each wheel maybe 4psi in the ags and it did great last year going back to turfs and chains this year but going to fill them with fluid so I dont have to put the weights back on
I dont like running my ags on the asphalt all winter

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Thanks for the input guys. I am going to experiment with these weights and see how she performs. Adding more weight worries me a bit since my driveway is downhill and I DONT have a holding valve and the retard feature doesnt work like it should or like I want it too. I have a newer 400 series long wheelbase frame that I want to use for a swap but I want to add an intergrated holding valve when I do the swap.

·
Registered
128 Posts

dont worry to much about the weight and downhill thing you will figure out the tricks and what works best I to plow downhill with mine and once you get the feel of how its going to act its just second nature after that I do not have a holding valve either

·
Site Founder
3,600 Posts

It will. I plow downhill in high range all the time and it's not a problem. The plow will slow the tractor right down very quickly.

I have an extra set of turfs on rims if you want them. The tires don't even have a single weather crack in them.

*edit* looks like BillH already offered you a set. He's probably only a 1.5 hour drive from you....

·
Registered
2,052 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Between Bill and Charles, which one of you live further south? I will be making a trip to Portland maine in the next week or two to drop off somestuff at a hospital there.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts

CASE 220/4 said:
Between Bill and Charles, which one of you live further south? I will be making a trip to Portland maine in the next week or two to drop off somestuff at a hospital there.
If you go up 95 to Portland you'll pass <2 miles from my place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.