Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Close to 15 years now been blowing snow with my 444, even go up to lake place when i had it 1/4 mile driveway. Always spinning tires ( have wheel weights, chains ) then to or three driveways here in town. Have fixed broken chains and the like, not to mention the lack of steering ability on the front.

So i used to drive fork lift part time at work before i retired, and often thought about turning a tractor around, and have seen some in FarmShow magazine, also in Lawn garden magazine, so the blower is on back with driven tire up front, turn the seat and steering around, just like a fork lift.

So couple years ago i bought a Bolens complete tractor with blown engine just for the blower 48" 2 stage. One of these things the progresses slow as already have a working blower.

Then i seen the fork lift build here on the forum, guarder snapped. so started studying.
https://casecoltingersoll.com/showt...m_campaign=ed511&utm_content=iss64#post699317

Then i seen Eugene's build snow blower on back, with hydraulic motor to run the blower. Thought how simple with no belts and all in the way, burn, brake. My choice of tractor is 224 that i bought with bad engine, ( rebuilt for my 444 ).
https://casecoltingersoll.com/showt...onverted-to-3-point-mount-and-hydraulic-drive
Video of it in action.
https://casecoltingersoll.com/showthread.php/87015-Video-of-rear-mounted-hydraulic-blow-at-work

So i have a 3 point hitch, but was wondering if one could use the mid-lift cylinder, make a small 3 point thing just to lift the blower? This will be used just for snow blowing nothing else.

Plans are to use the same H70 motor as Eugene did on his blower, compatible with the pump,8,9 gallons a minute. Bought 24x12x12 tires for drivers for the drivers. Any input or opinions, welcome........Curt

·
Registered
424 Posts
So it will have a 14hp engine?

Where’s the Bolens. Cottage country? My cottage is in Parry Sound. I’m looking for a Bolens rear axle. I would trade you a hyd motor for axle and other parts.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Pretty sure all Bolens are high speed blowers; around 2000rpm. Eugene’s must be a from compact or subcompact tractor. You can tell by the diameter of blower. It’s made for a slow (540) input.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ops forgot 20 hp Onan engine, Bolens is sold to a friend that passed on. It's not to far from me, and was going to bring it home this spring for the PTO clutch, and shaft connection. The rest i would have to by back to get it, it is a bigger 1600.

Will get up the in about a week, or so to get the reduction on the clutch, but won't need anything else if i use a hydraulic motor. The specs on the Bolens say they run the motor 3600 just like the case, so with reduction it would be about 2000 rpm's. I will have to check the blower, i have it here on the size ..........Curt

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out and dug through the snow half the auger measures about 6.5 " so that would be about 13".
Not the best for digging there is over 2' of snow on the level with couple layers of ice, form rain. So not sure i can get to the tractor, but will try.............Curt

·
Registered
424 Posts
Sorry Curt, I'm getting my conversations mixed up; I thought we were neighbours. I guess we are, your just about 20 hrs north west of me; no wonder you have snow.

I can still help with blower motor.

That's good info on the blower. From what I can find, blower tip speed should be about 3000fpm. That would be about 900 rpm at the blower shaft. Can you post a picture of blower drive configuration?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ya been a weird winter so far, now in the upper 20's to lower 30's for next couple weeks. Will see what i can do about getting a picture pictures...........Curt

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BUMMER! Went up to dig out and get measurements off the reduction, it wasn't there. Talked to his wife an d she called Clem's boys. They said the moved it and tree fell on it in the dump hole behind the pole barn, so that means i have to wait for snow to melt.
So will go by memory witch is the clutch i think had about 5" pulley to shaft drive, had about 6.5 or 7". From there it was drive shaft to blower. Somewhere i had it rote down on paper the pulley size, but don't seem to find it now. The blower hooked to the tractor like Case, has a extended frame that somehow hooked to the frame.
So about posting pictures i forgot they don't come through to big or something, have to get one of my sons to help me. figure it out.

So now the drive shaft goes to blower and through the paddles to gear box on auger center, and drives it....... Curt

·
Registered
424 Posts
Some things to consider;

If its a dedicated snow blowing tractor:

• No need for 3PH. 3PH were designed to allow easy connection to multible implements. I would just use two straight bars to the axle ears and save the 3PH for another tractor.
  • No need for hydraulic blower drive. Hydraulics shine in concentrating power where ever you need it, making it convenient to snap on and off a hydraulic mower deck, blower or FEL; but there is an efficiency costs. As a dedicated blower tractor though, you could mount engine directly on blower with short drive connection and belt drive the tractor drive pump (on engine like a PS pump), for maximum power transfer.

Instead of dedicated blower tractor:

• Consider a 3PH fork lift or hydraulic bush mower.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds interesting, will ponder that. I do have the mower deck off the Bolens, also shaft drive. The shaft is on the other end or out the front of the deck, maybe could turn it around to face the rear to match the blower.

The actual need for this big of rig in town, no as i just have a city lot. I could get by with a walk behind blower ( good one like they make now ). But having the lake place i had dreams of doing more, and got the Case addiction, got them cheep enough. And being 78 i just don't cherish fighting a walk behind any more, after having the 444 and blower, witch has seen its better days. So instead of rebuild, i though it would be easy enough to build a smaller size one just to blow snow. Besides the creativity of doing, and keep the old mind and body going, that and use some of these parts lying around........Curt

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
OK so far found out the engine clutch pulley it 5.3125" and the driven pulley is 6.022. Not much difference. ........Curt

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
OK! Garter-rider2 sent me the engine pulley size Thank you. halfcase sent me the other pulley size, and also PMed me with a picture of a 1948 blower. It has a gear box on the end of the PTO shaft, looked that model up and found a manual. Did not say the size, but looks to be about 2 to 1. We had 40+ degrees here yesterday, witch really cut the snow, if it keeps melting i can get my blower out. Thanks halfcase, big help...........Curt

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

OK my blower is just like this one of Eugene's roper, got back and dug it out enough to get the reduction. 12 tooth sprocket to a 26 tooth on blower.

The blower is 15" in diameter and the auger is 13", between the pulleys and the sprockets, the total reduction is 3.299 to 1.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes in fact the 12 tooth looks like the teeth are toothpicks, very thin. LOL need replacement. The blower must be made by the same Co. as Roper they, look identical.
Thanks Kyle and for the help with info about the gear box, and all................Curt

·
Registered
494 Posts
Curtis, your tooth count is a lot different than mine was but the previous owner had converted it to run on a 444. I looked for the driven sprocket tonight but didn't find it. I did find the sheave that was used with the belt drive. Hopefully I can find the stuff taken off Saturday afternoon.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts