Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1977 case 14hp kohler smokes on start up but you can still smell it even the though you don't actually see it smoking. Next summer I will do a complete rebuild and was wondering how good the Kohlers are about being rebuilt. I don't really want to resleeve the cylinder. I would guess that is pretty rare but I do know the cylinder can loose its shape at the bottom of the cylinder (egg shaped). I have only read one post on here that they had to do a resleeve. But.....I guess I will find out once I do a rebuild. So far I really like my lawn tractor..just needs a little TLC. Thanks Brad

·
Registered
128 Posts
they are really good just like new if it is done right mine is a 14hp also it is bored 30 over and runs like a top plenty of power it was already done when I got it but I have had no issues and I have had it for 4 years now it was sittin in a fence row when I bought it dont know how long before that the engine was rebuilt I know the shop that did it and there rep is good but they didnt remember either

·
Registered
225 Posts
My guess is that you won't have to resleeve yours. Mine had apparently had a very rough life before it came to me and had been rebuilt at least once, probably a couple of times, as it had already been bored .030 over. That was the reason for resleeving. Mine was so bad that when it stopped smoking it meant that it was time to add oil. :wtf:

As a general rule Kohlers are very rebuildable.

ByCo

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hope to be good to go then when i do it. That is the bad thing about not being the original owner of a machine. You don't know whose hand have been in it or what has been worked on or worse yet been rigged. I doubt there are very many original owners out there of their 30-40 year old tractor.

·
Registered
877 Posts
Black smoke or blueish white smoke? Black smoke - it may just be excess fuel at start-up. Common with these engines from what I hear. Is it fumes from running rich that you smell? Kinda burns the nose and stings the eyes? May just be a carb adjustment. Bluish-white smoke is oil. How much oil does it use? If it consumes a lot and it's not accounted for from leaks(which should be fixed) , then I would say it's time for a rebuild.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have only had it for a month with maybe two hours of running with no oil usage...no leaks. It is black smoke on start up which I think is common but smokes some white smoke when I throttle up. I also think it smokes a tad while running because of smell. Yes I agree a leak down test would tell all (need to read up I guess). I don't think the engine has been touched and it is a 77 model so it could be time. I need to take the head off and check for carbon before winter since I will be using a snowblower. Is there any fuel additive that will help with that??

Brad

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Seafoam is a highly praised fuel additive but for all it takes to remove the head, that is the way to go. You must inspect the underside of the valves for carbon build-up too. A new head gasket is needed. Available at any NAPA store, John Deere dealer etc.

Adjust the valves at the same time and then set your points.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.