Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I discovered after getting the 446 that I bought home that the deck must have been at the bottom of a pond for a few years before the sale. I got all new bearings for the deck and as I was putting them in the sleeves that fit inside them turned sideways. Now there’s not enough room to maneuver the sleeves into the right position or to knock one of the new bearings back out. Any tips?

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Yes! Work with it. It isn't easy when that happens! I think I learned after the first one did that to me. First, on the LH Throw decks, which you have, I usually install the bottom bearing first. Then put the spindle up through that bearing, then stack the sleeve on the spindle and against that bottom bearing. That gives a nice easy guide to put the top bearing in. Tap it gentally with a hammer to seat it, while holding the spindle up thru the sleeve. I usually let the spindle back off a bit to protect the threads, but still have it into the sleeve to keep it in place. Once the top bearing is in place and seated it will keep that sleeve in place.

Sometimes when that sleeve has flipped you are just going to spend some money. Depending on how tight you got it before realizing what you had done, You might be able to use a Blunt ended punch. Stick it down thru the hole in the center of the bearing, and give it a couple whacks. That might be enough to move that bottom bearing. You might warp the sleeve and need to replace it. Or you might be able to stick a slender screw driver thru that hole in the bearing and slide around that sleeve to rest on top of the bottom bearing on one side of it. Try to be careful to get clear to the outside edge of that bearing, and give it a whack with a hammer. Then keep the screw driver in the hole, but try the other side of that bearing. You may just get it to budge a bit at the time. Depending on how skillful you are, you might not have to replace that bearing, or the sleeve. If you warp the sleeve, replace it with one of the original type sleeves. The length of that sleeve is important.

Also, if you haven't already, get some never seize and use it liberally as you assemble the spindles. If you ever need to replace the bearings, you will thank yourself!

Good luck!

Bill Moyer

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes! Work with it. It isn't easy when that happens! I think I learned after the first one did that to me. First, on the LH Throw decks, which you have, I usually install the bottom bearing first. Then put the spindle up through that bearing, then stack the sleeve on the spindle and against that bottom bearing. That gives a nice easy guide to put the top bearing in. Tap it gentally with a hammer to seat it, while holding the spindle up thru the sleeve. I usually let the spindle back off a bit to protect the threads, but still have it into the sleeve to keep it in place. Once the top bearing is in place and seated it will keep that sleeve in place.

Sometimes when that sleeve has flipped you are just going to spend some money. Depending on how tight you got it before realizing what you had done, You might be able to use a Blunt ended punch. Stick it down thru the hole in the center of the bearing, and give it a couple whacks. That might be enough to move that bottom bearing. You might warp the sleeve and need to replace it. Or you might be able to stick a slender screw driver thru that hole in the bearing and slide around that sleeve to rest on top of the bottom bearing on one side of it. Try to be careful to get clear to the outside edge of that bearing, and give it a whack with a hammer. Then keep the screw driver in the hole, but try the other side of that bearing. You may just get it to budge a bit at the time. Depending on how skillful you are, you might not have to replace that bearing, or the sleeve. If you warp the sleeve, replace it with one of the original type sleeves. The length of that sleeve is important.

Also, if you haven't already, get some never seize and use it liberally as you assemble the spindles. If you ever need to replace the bearings, you will thank yourself!

Good luck!

Bill Moyer
Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts