Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Group, A week or so ago I purchased a 4020 with the intent to remove the Hydra Bagger and PTO to use on my 4018. I am in the process of removing the PTO, which I assumed, was installed with "T's" and I would just remove the "T's" and hook the tractor line back up. Now that I am digging into this I see there are hook up points within the tractors Hydraulics just for the PTO. I am using my daughters garage to do this in and if I remove the valve and go to a hydraulics dealer with the valve for them to sell me the appropriate caps I am worried of an oil leak and making a mess on her garage floor. This has generated the following questions:

1.) Can I just cap the open ports on the tractor after I remove the PTO line? Are any of these ports jumped together with a hydraulic hose when no PTO is installed?

2.) There are 3 lines, 2 larger lines and a small narrower line. What size caps are needed to avoid open ports when the PTO is removed?

3.) Does anyone no were I can get an installation & owners manual for the PTO? I did not see any in the library. The type of PTO I have is mounted on a bracket to the left of the seat. There are 3 lines on the PTO.

4.) What is the third line on the PTO for?

Thanks
Mark

·
Registered
2,125 Posts
markgru02919 said:
1.) Can I just cap the open ports on the tractor after I remove the PTO line? Are any of these ports jumped together with a hydraulic hose when no PTO is installed?

2.) There are 3 lines, 2 larger lines and a small narrower line. What size caps are needed to avoid open ports when the PTO is removed?

3.) Does anyone no were I can get an installation & owners manual for the PTO? I did not see any in the library. The type of PTO I have is mounted on a bracket to the left of the seat. There are 3 lines on the PTO.

4.) What is the third line on the PTO for?

Thanks
Mark
!. Don`t know
2. see above
3. "Hyd system, how it works" ( 9-50881) shows the routings with and without the various options. I`d start there.
I assume the 4020 would have had the later underseat pto, so pergaps someone has adapted the earlier version.
4. case drain for rototiller or brushhog hyd motor. (?)

·
Banned
12,618 Posts
Your 4020 has the familiar rear PTO that mounts on a bracket behind the seat.

- no caps are needed for the two large lines

- you need to remove the deck

- go under the tractor and remove the first PTO line/hose where it connects to the IN port of the Travel/Lift valve.

- disconnect the second PTO line/hose where it connects to the hose coming from the hydraulic pump.

- swing the pump hose over to the IN port of the travel lift valve and screw it on.

- locate the spot where the small case drain hose connects to . It might be on the left side of the Travel/Lift valve or it might be on a Tee fitting in the return line or it might be on the hydraulic oil filter housing. Remove the line at that point.

- put a drain pan under the tractor whenever you loosen and remove hoses/lines because oil will drain out.

- any decent hydraulic shop will have a block-off cap to close up the fitting that the case-drain hose goes into. You are going to want to have that case-drain line on your tractor so salvage all the parts that belong to it. Just take a sample to the hydraulics shop. Either the case-drain hose or the fitting it hooks to is all he needs to see. Use the drain pan to catch the oil that leaks out while you are locating a cap or plug.

You cannot remove a rear PTO and just cap the lines. You will blow the pump apart if you did that.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hydriv said:
Your 4020 has the familiar rear PTO that mounts on a bracket behind the seat.

- no caps are needed for the two large lines

- you need to remove the deck

- go under the tractor and remove the first PTO line/hose where it connects to the IN port of the Travel/Lift valve.

- disconnect the second PTO line/hose where it connects to the hose coming from the hydraulic pump.

- swing the pump hose over to the IN port of the travel lift valve and screw it on.

- locate the spot where the small case drain hose connects to . It might be on the left side of the Travel/Lift valve or it might be on a Tee fitting in the return line or it might be on the hydraulic oil filter housing. Remove the line at that point.

- put a drain pan under the tractor whenever you loosen and remove hoses/lines because oil will drain out.

- any decent hydraulic shop will have a block-off cap to close up the fitting that the case-drain hose goes into. You are going to want to have that case-drain line on your tractor so salvage all the parts that belong to it. Just take a sample to the hydraulics shop. Either the case-drain hose or the fitting it hooks to is all he needs to see. Use the drain pan to catch the oil that leaks out while you are locating a cap or plug.

You cannot remove a rear PTO and just cap the lines. You will blow the pump apart if you did that.
Thank you all, when I started looking at this today I had a bad feeling about just capping the lines. I am glad I listened to my intuition and checked first. It could have been an expensive lesson learned the hard way.
Thanks again

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.