Case Colt Ingersoll Tractors banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... I've seen a number of folks talk about going down this road... Some have MacKissics, and some have other brands... I caught the thread on protecting the drive motor from sudden stops... Quite glad I did. Haven't seen anything on a completed project...

So, I just (well an hour ago) picked up a MacKissic, that quite honestly doesn't have a chance in hell of getting the engine going again... So, here we are... While I think it would be much nicer to do a direct drive, and then cut down the OEM frame to make it a smaller unit, that would mean I have to deal with the motor protection issue... So, how about this...

Ditch the gas engine naturally, but keep the centrifugal clutch and belt drive. Mount that on a shaft supported by pillow blocks where the engine was, and then, drive that shaft with the hydraulic motor. That keeps the side load from the belts off the motor, and the clutch eliminates the inertial load of the shredder from driving the motor if you simply shut down the PTO.

Obviously, it'd loose a bit of power due to the clutch, but with 14 horses pushing the hydraulics, I would think that would be unimportant considering the chipper came with a 5 horse...

I'm thinking I could do this for $300 or less... $100 for the carcass, and I should have a functional machine for $400...

Sound plausible?

-Tim

·
Registered
571 Posts
Re: Re-powering a MacKissic Chipper to Hydraulic

Plausible, yes. (I would put a check valve in parallel to the hydraulic motor to alleviate the concern about shaft seal pressure after shut off.) But, when you can pick up a Honda clone engine for $109 at HF, not really economical. I was/am in the same situation as you. I spied a Mackissic chipper just before it was going into the local scrap yard. I paid the guy a little more than scrap price to drop it off for me instead. The engine was shot and there was no clutch. My plan was to buy an engine for it and a clutch, figuring I would have about $200 into the project. I stumbled onto a really nice Ingersoll chipper recently, so the luster of that other project suddenly went away.
For what it's worth, I mounted an old 1.5 HP electric motor on my junkyard special just to see what it could do. As a shredder, it really had no difficulty and worked well. I didn't try to chip anything, so I'm not sure how that would have worked.
Hydraulic motor-powered chipper coolness factor aside, I don't think you can go wrong just putting a new/different engine on what you've got. You'll likely burn a lot less fuel per ton of stuff chipped/shredded.

Paul

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.